99 Magnum Roller Cam Oil Pump Driveshaft

-

SMCARNUT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to build a 5.9L Magnum engine for one of my A bodies. Question with a 99-roller motor what is everyone using for the oil pump driveshaft for the street?

my buddy has 3 5.9 magnums running in 3 different cars and uses only the stock 1 with the stock oil pump. he says a hv/hp pump is not needed. he was told this by the guy that had the magnum website that is no longer in business.

I am going to build a 5.9L Magnum engine for one of my A bodies. Question with a 99-roller motor what is everyone using for the oil pump driveshaft for the street?

Stock. Stock pump as well. HV pump can pump the pan dry on extended higher rpm runs.

Last edited:
My question is not the pump but what is everyone using for the oil pump driveshaft.
Roller cams use a different " melanized " pump drive shaft gear where can they be bought? Or is everyone running Milodon 21535 bronze gear or using the stock one out of the existing motor.
Is something else available?

My question is not the pump but what is everyone using for the oil pump driveshaft.
Roller cams use a different " melanized " pump drive shaft gear where can they be bought? Or is everyone running Milodon 21535 bronze gear or using the stock one out of the existing motor.
Is something else available?
I would ask the cam manufacturer what gear material is compatible with the particular cam you are using. Most magnum builds are using the stock shaft with roller cams.

Howards wants a melanized gear I am having difficulties finding one. Cam is a HRS-710525-10.
Just wanting to see what everyone is running?

Stock drive gear with a Hughes cam in one and stock drive gear with a comp cam in another. No problems with either.

Thanks for the information. I am going to call Chrysler and see if the original is still available.

Stock cams (including rollers) or cams ground on stock-type cam blanks can use the stock intermediate shaft, or the MP HD shaft P3690715 (Milodon 21530 and Melling IS72 are similar).
Bronze gears are generally only needed on billet cams.
Shafts with melonized gears are offered by Hughes, HUG-6215SB- but currently out of stock.
If you already have a shaft with a pinned gear, you can buy just the gear from Hughes and mount it on your current shaft, HUG-6997.
If Howard's tells you to run a melonized gear on their particular cam, then run a melonized gear. Period.

Go to the Utawsome web site. Marty, the owner, has been modding these engines exclusively since 1992. Very knowledgeable & good guy with a good company. I have used them before & will use them again. They will have the best answer for you. He might even have the piece you need.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my questions.
If Howards grinds their roller cams on Billet blanks, I would go with their recommendation. My hydraulic roller came from Bullet Cams and was ground on a new cast iron Magnum blank, so I can run a stock intermediate shaft. With a billet blank, you will either need one harder than Chinese arithmetic, or a bronze one that will wear faster than the cam. Good luck to you. Any of that stuff is hard to get right now. I tried to buy a Lunati Hydraulic roller, and the Lunati guy laughed...and said they didn't even have cam blanks to hit each other in the head with if they got in a fight in the shop! This was a little over a year ago, but it ain't changed much.

Don’t worry about it being a Magnum. Just look for small block Mopar.

Have you called Hughes Engines? They list what you need, but call to make sure since the listing also mentions big block. I have not ordered one yet, but they were going to get the call when I am ready.

i recently got a Howards Hydraulic Roller cam for a BB, obviously not a cast core. Asked via their FB-Page, got the confirmation that it´s a billet core and therefore needs the bronze or melonized gear. Comp for example uses cast cores in their SB Hydraulic rollers, that´s what i run in my SB....with the stock intermediate shaft.

Long story short: ask Howards about your specific cam. If they say it´s billet steel then the stock intermediate shaft won´t work. If it´s cast then the stock one works.

Michael

Not one person has ever posted that they ran their oil pan dry using a high volume oil pump with a stock pan.
I don't know. I lost a 340 to a wide open cannonball 5 mile top end run. Oil was either pumped dry, foamed, or combo of both. It did have the windage tray in place. I assumed it was at least in part because of too much oil pumped in the top end as it took out the rod bearings. Maybe pumped too much is more accurate than pumped dry.

-
Back