999? tranny

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
What is a 999 transmission? My cuda has a 318 police interceptor w/a 999 transmission that came with it. Now, I know that in vin codes a 999 means special order, but I don't think this is the same. It IS a late model 318, so if any one can clue me as to the difference between the 904 and a 999 I'd really appreciate it. My 318 has j-heads, and I can't wait to do a psi reading to see what the comp is, so I can tell if the heads were milled... I hope I have 9:1 or better, so I can slide this hughes 224/504@108 lca+2 cam in there...!!!!What a lumpy little commodity this cuda is gonna be! :burnout:

"The A998 / A999 (later 31RH, 32RH, respectively) was a heavier-duty, wide-ratio version of the small-frame A904 transmission, for use with medium-power V8 engines.

The 904 was equipped with three direct friction plates, the 998 had four, and the 999 came with either four or five."

hope that helps.

Are you claiming the 999 is the original trans for your cuda? i believe they just have a bigger front clutch pack than a 904 or 998.. did you mill the 360 heads?

No, it is not the original tranny or motor. It was a /6 converted to 318 police interceptor/999 tranny. The 75cc police heads were removed and replaced with 340 j heads, with the resultant increase in compression from the smaller chambers, and then an intake and carb by edelbrock, and electronic ignition. I learned tonight that the 999 has a 2:70 something first gear and a lock-up converter(!), and is indeed beefier, for medium horsepower applications. 5 disc clutch-pack, and performance shifting. I was pleased to learn that the pistons in the interceptor were flattop, with the 75cc heads they had 8.8:1 and now with the j heads I am easily into 9.25:1 or better. I chose a great cam for a 360 I have and have been tearing down to build, but I may just slide it into this 318, and see what happens! This cuda also has the large bolt/disc brake conversion done, and highway gears, but with the low first gear I should still get a decent launch, I will let you know tomorrow! I will be driving the car for the first time in the am!!! Happiness is a barracuda bite pattern! And I definitely have the fever...I have some 596 heads for sale, and a few misc 360 parts, so I can start to save for eddies, I am sold on edelbrock heads, my buddy got them on his belvedere's 360 that he swapped in. I rode in that car when it had smog heads, and then when he got the eddies, and there was no other change made to the motor and the difference was astonishing. I can attest to the fact that those heads are superior to my 596's for sure and probably the 915's too. what do you think? Plus they just look coooool!

last night I read alot of threads about the 999 tranny when used with a big cam, it seems that people have a hard time finding higher stall converters that are lock-up style like the 999's. with the numerically higher first gear and a rear end ratio of 3.55-3.70 the launch should improve, but people say that then the lock-up won't engage cause the stall speed of the tc is too low. Essentially speaking, if I want this thing to hook up and rip down low, and still drop into lock-up in 3rd, what do I need to do? I listed the cam specs and block/heads/ pistons combo above, is this car gonna be a dog? Well I am gonna go drive her right now, and buy herpretty much either way, so if anyone has a solution that will work here I'd love to read about it. I will definitely have the pic's and some real world results a few hours from now!!

afaik there isnt much of a market out there for high stall lockup converters. someone will post if they know. but that is the common downside to the lockups. The low ratio gears can be swapped to an earlier 904 or 998 prelockup as well.

Well, I got to strike the deal on the cuda today, it's done and the car is mine, and i learned that the 999 is not a lock up version, which is good for me, a 998/904 shift kit will work, as wel as 904 valve bodies, so basically I got a beefy 904 with 5 clutches up front, 4 in back, steel planetaries, and a wide ratio! I can run a regular 904 tq converter, and I am pleased to say the least!

-
Back