A 360 passing for a 318

-
Proof we are all different. Some like to exaggerate about what is under the hood and some, like me, prefer the subtle sleeper route. I simply wanted to know if the 360 and 318 are close enough in appearance to play the sleeper role.

you could put a 10 inch piece of sausage in your pants to.

Only 10???

I used to sell my 480+ inch engines as 396's when street racing... More people interested when you say you have ~100 fewer cubic inches!

Well, when I was young, I ran olds engines and all the car folks I hung around were not too savvy, I sad my mild built 10-1 455 olds was a 350 chevy for about 6 months because no one really expected my 78 monte carlo to have anything but a chevy motor. Eventually they saw otherwise when I could consistently smoke lots of people in the quarter w/o shifting into 3rd with 2.29 gears and then run on out to a smooth 145 in the half mile and set my cruise control. For us poor back-woods hot rodders that was a decent feat of achievement and the wiser guys were like "bull shi#" that aint no chevy 350 (cause it would have fell out on the ground with three rods hanging out already). So, finally I opened the hood one evening and spilled the beans.

When I took out my 318 and put in the 408, I ended up going with the same RPM air gap intake and MP valve covers. If it wasn't for the aluminum heads and Fluidampr, it would be hard to tell the difference. Still, after spending all that money to get that power, there is no way in hell I am claiming it's a 318.

there is a guy at my local track running a 390 stroked 318. thing runs 10.50s in an all steel 67 dart. that to me is impressive.

I get it! Like taking the hemi emblems off so they won't be scared to race you lol.

I haven't seen the guy or car for awhile but there was a local guy running a hemi in a 70 Challenger. He's since dropped off the planet cause I haven't seen him for 10 years. I have pictures somewhere.

Well it looked like a 70 Challenger with a stock twin-scooped hood. It was actually a 72 Challenger with a 70 front and rear end. Inside was an all aluminum KB Hemi, 4.5 bore x 4.5 stroke (572 C.I.) He built a custom hand made fuel injection setup, all aluminum w/ outrageous TIG welded joints. One night it wouldn't start and he whipped out his laptop and started looking at things. IIRC, his ignition and fuel controllers were in the trunk. Then he pulls out a T-handled spark plug wrench just like the funny car teams use and pulls a plug. He had some kind of electrical problem cause he eventually called a flat bed to haul it home.

Later, I got to know him a little and he showed me the dyno sheet, 776 HP on Landy's dyno. In a previous life he used to do the fuel systems for Connie Kalitta. I asked him about the mundane 426 Hemi emblems on the sides of the twin scoops and how I was surprised if this car was such a sleeper, why he was advertising a HEMI instead of a 383 OR 440.

His answer was that he wanted people to think it was "Only a 426 Hemi".
Case closed.

If you go the 360 disguised as a 318 route, paint the intake and heads engine color.

Go for it. I have a Shelby Dakota with a stroked 340/418 I can pass it off as a 318 easy. I run X heads on it an have never been checked . Most people don't know and cant tell if its a 318 or not. Just in case they want to look up under the truck at the motor I ground off the numbers on the side of the block. If I am not wrong the 273 had smaller intake bolts than the others, Again unless your a mopar fan I doudt you would know this. Its no different than a chebby guy running a 350 and claiming a 327. I know I couldn't tell them apart. I say GO for it.

x

I haven't seen the guy or car for awhile but there was a local guy running a hemi in a 70 Challenger. He's since dropped off the planet cause I haven't seen him for 10 years. I have pictures somewhere.

Well it looked like a 70 Challenger with a stock twin-scooped hood. It was actually a 72 Challenger with a 70 front and rear end. Inside was an all aluminum KB Hemi, 4.5 bore x 4.5 stroke (572 C.I.) He built a custom hand made fuel injection setup, all aluminum w/ outrageous TIG welded joints. One night it wouldn't start and he whipped out his laptop and started looking at things. IIRC, his ignition and fuel controllers were in the trunk. Then he pulls out a T-handled spark plug wrench just like the funny car teams use and pulls a plug. He had some kind of electrical problem cause he eventually called a flat bed to haul it home.

Later, I got to know him a little and he showed me the dyno sheet, 776 HP on Landy's dyno. In a previous life he used to do the fuel systems for Connie Kalitta. I asked him about the mundane 426 Hemi emblems on the sides of the twin scoops and how I was surprised if this car was such a sleeper, why he was advertising a HEMI instead of a 383 OR 440.

His answer was that he wanted people to think it was "Only a 426 Hemi".
Case closed.

If you go the 360 disguised as a 318 route, paint the intake and heads engine color.

I love stories like this, I have my 340 looking like a stocker, all blue paint, nothing flashy at all on the motor, nobody needs to know.

I like the idea. I was going to do the same thing, but take it a step further and use the 318 2bbl air cleaner, modded for a 4bbl and pull air at the back.

The 318 that I'm building is getting a little more than a stock build, but I'm going on Direct Connection gear wherever custom stuff is seen.

If you wanted to make it a sleeper, you could internally balance it, but for what you're going for, unless you started removing casting marks (X, O, J on the sparkplug areas of the heads and then down low) it's not worth it.

I think a 390 with some ported and valved 302 heads would be way more fun, because you could actually do that and make it look like a 318, completely.

If you've got a 360, roll with it, external balancers and all. And yeah, you can paint aluminum. The only thing is that most aluminum cylinder heads do have a call out on them and have flat areas that give them away, like the Edelbrocks.

I'm honest with my engine build. It's a warmed over 318 and the decal on the cleaner says so.

318%20Air%20Cleaner%20Decal.jpg

Probably undercutting HP @ 210 by a few, but I'd rather do that than go the other way. I may dyno it one day after the trans is in, just to know.

I've got some sneaky stuff for the Charger build plan, though.

..............and it depends on "how it runs." If it runs like a stone, tell 'em it's a 273/ 318. If it runs like a raped ape, see if you can get any mileage out of a 273, LOL

This guy claims it's a 283................

55 Chevy Gasser Pass - YouTube

A friend of mine at sac raceway runs a 283 in his 55 Chevy that runs consistent 10.20's all day long. I helped him build the motor so I can varify its a 283. 12.5-1 and Brodix heads and 4:56. At the end of the day who gives a chit the displacement if you are handing out *** whippings. That's my take.

Thanks. It is all about having some fun. I've definitely gained a lot of respect for built 318s after reading the posts. For those who have invested in that time-tested engine, my apologies is I've offended you. I truly like what you have done with it.

DaveBonds: you are way ahead of me and I like your lidea even better than mine. Nice.

-
Back