A-518 transmission concerns

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I have noticed that my transmission is making noise when i put it in drive and go to take off also mking the same noise in reverse. The noise is very hard to describe but it does get louder with speed and it sounds like something winding up. it goes wooooOOOOOOO gets louder with speed but once i get going hard on it i cant hear any noises. It is very strange. The fluid level is full nice cherry red fluid color does not smell burnt. The transmission does not slip and shifts and downshifts fine. This A-518 is a non lock up in a 1991 dodge ram half ton 4x4 truck and i had this transmission fully rre-built back in september and it has less then 1000 miles on it. On the recipt with my re-build it says i got new torque converter new front pump new planetarie gears new sun gears new electric pack new everything besided the valve body basically. Queestion is could this be a symptom of a valve body heading out? or a servo sticking or something? i know 1st and reverse are linked together somehow and thats where i notice the noise the most. This transmission still has another year and a half on the warranty so i am really anting to pin point what this is or at least have some real good guesses so when i bring it back to the transmission shop they dont try sending me away in it saying its fine.

The transmission shop that re-built my transmission has been very good about fixing there mistakes, they installed the wrong converter the very first time nd had to put a different converter in it and ever since they pulled the transmission the second time to put a different converter in it is when i first noticed this sound. In fact i noticed it the second i left there shop with it and i figured it must be normal sound because the owner of the transmission shop was out driving it around for darn near an hour after they put the second converter in it and he pulled up in the parking lot in it while i ws standing there and he got out of my truck and said it seems to be working ver well i think you will be happy with it, everything is working correctly. And i get in it to leave and notice this wooooo sound right off the bat so i know he had to of heard it. Just makes me wonder if maybe it has a loud converter on it and makes me wonder if it rally is normal for it to be doing this? my gut tells me no that it should not be making that noise.

Anybody have any thoughts on what could be causing this noise?

What fluid did you use?

And it wasn't horribly abnormal for the a500/a518 to make some noise. They are not supposed to, but they did.

The guy that re-built the transmission said he put atf+3 in it and thats what it says on the recipt got charged for 14 quarts of atf+3. But when i first brought them this truck i thought i was only going to need to have a front seal replaced and i asked them if i could bring my fluid and one of the mechanics in the shop said we use a universal atf that works in every transmision. Then next day they called me and said it needed a complete over haul and i said ok then they did it so i dont if it has a universal fluid in it or atf+3.

.........My god man, take it back and shove it up there yingyang.........u have had how many threads on this..........kim..........

Ya im going to take it back to them and have them look at it again it will be the 3rd time i have had to and they alwways like to argue with me about whats going on with it, thats why im asking so i have some valid points and suggestions to mention to them. But i know they are going to have to pull it bck out again i'm sure lol. its under warranty still so there isnt anything they can do about it but fix it or give me my money back.

-
Back