a-833 4 sp rebuild??

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I am going to attempt a rebuild...have some knowledge and a factory manual...and also a good parts source..can anyone offer me some tips and info for the removal of the retaining rings and such....and/or tricks to make it go sucessfully...I have heard the are not that complex...and money...IS an issue..so sending it out is not possible right now.... all input welcomed...:read2:

You can work the retaining rings on and off with screwdrivers but its easy to chip the splines on the shafts. This will make the job a lot easier.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P?mv=rr

The service manual is really helpful. You will also want access to a press for the bearings. Make sure you have lots of light so you can see what your doing and room to keep things clean and organized. Have fun!

I did my first one about a year ago , have the manual ready for reassembly and a good amount of bench space . The hardest part is doing the final assy of the rear tailshaft with the gearset into the main case . You really need two people to make it go smooth ( I was alone but had an overhead crane ,not recomended LOL!! ) . Slantsix.org has a great write up on how to do it , adding some great tips to help you figure it out .

1st timer her too. Got help from a knowledgeable friend that had all of the tools, a press is needed. Close to 2k miles w/no problems. Passon Performance and Brewers are 2 of the best sources out there. Once disassembled, inspect and or replace while it's apart. Good insurance.

Teardown2.jpg

awesome...how can I fail...i have all the help I need...right here...i did see those pliers..and as luck would have it ...a gift cert.for sears as well...I think i will gather the parts and give this project the green light...can I count on you guys during the process???

Yingling .................or however you spell it
Hard to get out here!

I've rebuilt dozens. One time I was having a tough time getting the mainshaft/tailshaft housing back into the case and I got pissed and took a drill and holesaw, and drilled a hole right into the wall right behind my workbench the size of the input shaft...I didn't have a second set of hands either, and the case was slipping to the side. I rammed the input shaft/bearing retainer into this hole, and that allowed me to slide the mainshaft/housing right into place. Who says it doesn't pay to get pissed. I use that hole every time now. :cheers:

1st timer her too. Got help from a knowledgeable friend that had all of the tools, a press is needed. Close to 2k miles w/no problems. Passon Performance and Brewers are 2 of the best sources out there. Once disassembled, inspect and or replace while it's apart. Good insurance.
That workspace is scary. You don't even have gear lube fingerprints on the beer bottle label...

-
Back