a-833 leaky

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey guys i discovered a leak coming from the shaft, it would when the car was running. what seals do i need to get? and from where? thanks

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

There is a seal as well as a gasket. Pop the four bolts off and it will be self explanatory.:thumbsup:

Yup 39.99 for the 64/65 B&T Transmisson, the four bolt that hold that piece with the seal inside the shaft can i just replace those with grade 8 bolts the threads look worn thats why i am asking

I would get a gasket kit and reseal the whole trans. If the seal is bad it probably will need shift shaft seals. Brewers has what ever you need. Your input shaft bearing retainer seal is leaking. Put a new pilot shaft bushing in the crank to keep the input running true in the seal.

Any tips on the shift shaft? Put all gears in neutral Seems like remove the bolts from cover, remove the bearing balls and spring from the gear selector and replace o ring and re install, I’ve been readying it’s a bit tricky to put back the gear selector

The trans will have to be split to get out the lowest shift shaft. The reverse shift shaft is the lowest and usually the leaker. the main shaft can be left in the tail shaft. You can leave the cluster gear in the case also if you are not doing bearings . There are videos on how to do it with common tools. Here is one just using tools everyone has. But there are many others.

Also check drilled holes for bolts, I had one of the holes cut into inside indention where oil is and it was leaking from there, even after gasket kit

Use sealer, rtv, on the 4 bolts that hold the front retainer also.

thanks for the tip! i just re sealed all the shift shaft o rings, rear housing, rear seal, front seal, inspection cover, man ill tell you what that old timers got some skills, cause it took me about 8 tries getting that main input cluster to go in with the roller needle bearings having the brass rings and gears in place. But when it all went in correctly it was quick and easy spins freely and gets all the gears.

-
Back