A-833 OD gets stuck in second while driving

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
My A-833 OD gets stuck in between second and third every once in a while upon shifting to 3rd. When this occurs, the car is stuck in second until I get to a stop, crawl under and push the linkage back to neutral. Most of the time, once freed up, I can drive away normally until it happens again at some point. Any ideas on cause here? The trans shifts otherwise normally and the clutch feels fine.

I had that same thing happen on a 833OD I checked the adjustment I don't know how many times - greased it at the fitting finally greased the hell out of the shifter with some spray white grease no problem since

I had the very same problem on my OD. I very carefully adjusted the shift rods many times. But it never solved the problem. One day I finally removed the gearbox, rebuilt the shifter, and swapped out the side cover with the earlier steel ball-and-detent style mechanism side cover instead of the later "rooster comb" mechanism. If you do this you have to cut off the nubs at the end of the shift forks.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know which procedure solved my problem, but I am happy that I did both. Smooth shifting ever since.

Good grief. I bought my 1977 Volare Runner new off the lot in 1978 with the OD trans. It would stick between gears every now and then when it was new. I finally got tired and swapped in a proper 4-speed. Never had the problem again. Wow... that takes me back...

I had this issue with two A833's both OD units. I ended up taking them apart to find broken synchronizer drums. Also One had bearing issues on the counter shaft and the other had bearings that were toast where the input shaft and main shaft meet. Both were used when I got them, although one was supposedly gone through.:BangHead:

Anyway, this was the culprit for me. Brewers built me a new one and problem solved....

I find i have to adjust the linkages on my reg 833 once a year. Doesn't stick in between 2nd and 3rd but i can tell when it needs adjust because it will slightly grind when going from 4th to 3rd

-
Back