A-833 OD Grinds when putting in Reverse!!!!!!

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
What is wrong with my A-833 OD? It just started doing this. It grinds when I try to put it in reverse. The clutch is properly adjusted, but when I try to put the transmission in reverse I can feel the engine turning the cogs of the gears (at a constant rate, not just spinning from being in gear before). I can jam it in gear, but I feel there is something wrong. It has the proper level of ATF. It is also hard to get into 1st gear too. But isn't hard to get into 2nd, 3rd or 4th. The transmission has 230,000 miles on it and was doing fine up until now.

Help!!!

bwhitejr

atf in a manual trans :-| maybe im dumb but dont u have to use a gear lube type stuff

grinding doesnt that mean the syncros(sp?) are going out

80-90 or 75-90 gear lube, but definatly NOT ATF, ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid, not All transmissions fluid. With the wrong fluid in there you wont be worrying about grinding for to terribly long, you'll be more concrened with finding your bus pass.

Only the newer cars run ATF in manual trans, this is just to get higher gas mileage. And that's about it.

krabysniper said:
80-90 or 75-90 gear lube, but definatly NOT ATF, ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid, not All transmissions fluid. With the wrong fluid in there you wont be worrying about grinding for to terribly long, you'll be more concrened with finding your bus pass.

The factory fill on an A833OD was ATF and it was the recomended lubricant. FWIW, many manual transmissions used ATF.

dgc333 said:
The factory fill on an A833OD was ATF and it was the recomended lubricant. FWIW, many manual transmissions used ATF.
I agree 100%

The #1 reason that it would be difficult to put a trans in any gear is that the clutch is not releasing completely.

-
Back