A-833 OD in Aspen... not the right one?

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
I hate to feel like I'm beating on a dead horse here, but I found a guy who has an 833OD that is supposedly from a '78 Aspen. He sent me pics and it has the B/E body shifter locations. I thought that the short tailshaft was used in F bodies too?

Got some of my info from FABO as well as this article:
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...618_a_833_manual_transmission_swap/index.html

and I've been reading:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

So.... now I am confused and feel that my search has to be limited even further. I was all set to buy the trans and I know it can be made to work but would rather use an A-body style trans. Is getting an Aluminum case transmission worth the weight savings vs. the durability of the cast iron case?

How difficult/expensive is it to beef up the wear points in the aluminum case 833OD?

Thanks. :read2:

sounds like the guy your are dealing with may not realize that you know what an A / F body tranny looks like,,

can you post a photo of it.

I contacted Passon transmission last fall,, I believe they were charging 100.00 to bush the shaft ends,,they also had their own aluminum case for sale,, i believe it was 250.00,, relying on memorie here,,,,

if you want a a833OD A body keep looking, I bought one off e bay last fall, they are around,,, swap meets,,, certainly if want to do some additional fab work a B long tail can be made to work and save you some $ in the process,, those are fairly common in mid 80's D-150 pick-ups,,,you can get one out of a pic a part for 100 to 150,,if your in a hurry for a short tail version,,check either passion or brewers transmission

I have an A833OD from an 81 D100 pickup in my 68 Cuda. The only difference is the length of the main shaft and tail housing.

You need to fab a custom bracket that bolts to the rear mount and positions the shifter forward to the a-body position and shorten the drive shaft. Depending on what you had for a tranny you may need a new slip yoke to match the output shaft splints.

You can use those, but dude needs to know that he's misrepresentin um as A body transmissions cause that ain't what they are. Whether he's doin it on purpose or not, the end result is the same. At least now you know.

TNT440, I sent you a PM. I have two nice abody O/Ds that I am not going to use if that would help. One is a 75 and the other a 76 if I read it right.

TNT440, I sent you a PM. I have two nice abody O/Ds that I am not going to use if that would help. One is a 75 and the other a 76 if I read it right.

Just for interest sake, do your A body transmissions have the small (904 size) of the large (727) size output shaft? The A/F body one I have takes the small 904 size slip yolk. The truck ones I have use the 727 yolk.

Just for interest sake, do your A body transmissions have the small (904 size) of the large (727) size output shaft? The A/F body one I have takes the small 904 size slip yolk. The truck ones I have use the 727 yolk.

Mine use the 727 yolk. They are date coded 75 and 76, and one has the shifter mount on it, and they use the 4.780 bearing retainer.

may i ask what the deal is with these trannys? are they good...will they hold up to a 300 400 hp motor/ I would think the od factor would be huge for some guys running a steap rearend gear........i saw one of these recently for sale guy was asking 800 bucks!!.........even at that....sure beats the price of od keisler eh?

may i ask what the deal is with these trannys? are they good...will they hold up to a 300 400 hp motor/ I would think the od factor would be huge for some guys running a steap rearend gear........i saw one of these recently for sale guy was asking 800 bucks!!.........even at that....sure beats the price of od keisler eh?

Yes, especially the kind HemiEd, has above. You have to have the Bellhousing with the right pilot. Most "A" bodies have the small 4.354" DIAMETER pilot.

I had one in for six years. It's a big RPM drop between gears. Shifting out of first at 6000, the engine would drop to 3300 in second. I only used street tires (BFG's) and was running in the 13's at the time. Mine lived behind a 360 / 300 HP crate motor with a 100 HP of NO2. I liked the highway friendly fourth and the low 3.09 first. It only gave me three gears for the strip though, with a 3.55 rear. I ended up with a Tremec TKO eventually. I still have that trans if you need one.

They will take that much stock with no sweat. If you have one with the aluminum case, you will want to invest in having the counter shaft bores in the case bushed, as it is a popular failure for them to gall the case. If you get a cast iron case OD, there are no worries there. Passon Performance sells parts to upgrade them to withstand MUCH more power than what you asked about.

Then they are not OD transmissions unless the bearing retainers have been changed or turned down. The only size bearing retainer the OD came with was 5.125".

Read here about the 4 speed overdrive transmissions.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

You are right, that is what made it so hard to figure out. At first I thought they were BB A Body trans, due to the size of the retainer, and everything I read. But when you pull the side cover off, they are very nicely preserved O/D units.

Just to confirm, I wrote down all the numbers, on both units, and emailed them to Jamie at Passon. He gave me the O/D news. It wasn't what I was wanting to hear, but that is what they are.

I just need to get off my rear, get some pictures taken and get them listed on here. I am not going to use them.

That's pretty cool. that means they can use an easy to find bellhousin.

-
Back