A 833 od

-
A stock 340 will be a piece of cake. I know of 833OD's that are run behind moderate 440's without issue.

They are only weaker because of the aluminum case and clearance on the counter shaft. The gears themselves are just as strong. If you're really concerned about it, you can have the aluminum case bushed for the countershaft. But more than likely it will never be an issue.

There are numerous threads on this topic, and the conclusion is usually the same. Unless you're racing frequently with big horsepower, you probably won't hurt one.

They came in trucks so their beefy enough to pull a trailer or boat so i,d say without sticky tires it aint breaking.

I've seen the counter shaft argument for a long time and even parroted it myself.....but when I think about it, I've yet to see a broken one.

Find a 76 iron case OD if your going to beat it down the track a jillion times. the other point of wear is the input shaft bearing. That is why the larger bearing on the OD. Theres a diagram in some post in here showing the drive paths of the gears. I just rebuilt my 76 iron OD and the counter shaft holes were still perfect but the input bearing was way shot.

I have a A-body cast iron ovd cheap in topeka ks if someone wants it. i am not shipping it you gotta pick it up

I ran an OD tranny behind a mildly built 360 without any issues and I did a lot of burnouts with it. Including reverse to 2nd. The main issue with the OD tranny is overdrive actually runs on the 3rd gear cluster and 4th gear becomes 3rd which puts excessive force and wear on the input bearing. Hence the reason Chrysler put a bigger input bearing in those transmissions. Only reason I switched to a regular 833 is I found one out of an E body with the close gear ratio set up for racing.

I'm putting an aluminum case OD behind a dual carb Hemi. I ain't skeered.

-
Back