A-833 shift shaft seal tricks

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
Thanks to smartken22 and this thread A-833 4 Speed Rebuild pics

I have a few more pics to add showing what I did to replace the O-rings on the shift shafts. I was able to remove the reverse shaft and gear without ant big headaches or complete tear down. What makes it easier is rotating the tail shaft housing without removing the main shaft or counter shaft assemblies. I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in other posts but not illustrated. The tail shaft housing rotated at about 120 degrees allows the top left bolt to be reinstalled to secure the housing and mainshaft assembly while you are knocking out the reverse shaft and gear at access the reverse shift shaft. Luckily the tail shaft housing gasket remained intact and I just brushed it with some super 300. Flipping the transmission upside down is the easiest way to get the forks back in. The front fork can be on the side plate assembly but the rear must be inserted in the transmission and then guided into the shift shaft as the cover is placed. A pneumatic gasket scraper came in very handy for cleaning the old side cover gasket off. I didn't make Ken's special tool but instead heated the inside ear that holds the reverse shaft with a propane torch and then used a heel bar and hammer to get it out. Also a big thanks to Del 67dart273 for his idea of using an engine hoist as a tranny jack. I cut a block to contour the bottom of my transmission and set it on the 1/2" bolt I have welded on the end of my crane. This allowed me to tip the transmission enough to clear the H pipe so I didn't have to cut any exhaust. I filled it last night and took a picture this morning and NO LEAKS! :)

dart-trans-5-jpg.1714930897

dart-trans-6-jpg.1714930892

dart-trans-2-jpg.1714930887

dart-trans-1-jpg.1714930886

Last edited:
-
Back