A-833

-

fatoldguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever see a cast iron A-833 with an aluminum tail stock. the date on the raised portion says it's a 1976 .

016.jpg

I have, and that one looks like it's all aluminum from my phone.

I've seen unmolested overdrive boxes (all those in the mid to late '70's), with aluminum cases, aluminum tail shaft housings, and both.
never seen a factory aluminum side cover though.

yeah, what he said. it looks like aluminum case and tailshaft with a cast iron side cover. I think they used the aluminum cases in special economy models, like the feather duster, dart light, etc. Might be an OD trans.

Is there a casting date on the case. Mybe someone had parts laying around and swap out the tail to save on weight.

I have, and that one looks like it's all aluminum from my phone.

I've seen unmolested overdrive boxes (all those in the mid to late '70's), with aluminum cases, aluminum tail shaft housings, and both.
never seen a factory aluminum side cover though.
Sorry about the picture the case is cast iron , I just cleaned it up real well, only the tail stock is aluminum
,just never saw one like that .

Is there a casting date on the case. Mybe someone had parts laying around and swap out the tail to save on weight.
The casting date is 1976. I was just wondering if Chrysler made them like that or if that was put on by someone else.

The casting date is 1976. I was just wondering if Chrysler made them like that or if that was put on by someone else.

The only ones I seen like that where the truck ods but the had cast iron tails and alumium case and side covers . Is it a o/d or 1-1 trans

Last edited:
Anyone ever see a cast iron A-833 with an aluminum tail stock. the date on the raised portion says it's a 1976 .

View attachment 1715001310
Aluminum housing for weight reduction and cast iron tail shaft for extra strength is what i understand the idea was. But I'm not sure how to tell if that particular transmission is factory or not.

The only ones I seen like that where the truck ods but the had cast iron tails and alumium case and side covers . Is it a o/d or 1-1 trans
Guess I'll have to take side cover off to be sure , got a great deal on the a- body trans and a b-body trans for $90.00 . Guy just wanted to get them out of his garage.

It's just about gotta be an od trans. I've got enough parts to build an all aluminum 1:1 but don't know if there's any special considerations to do so.

I remember a mopar muscle where they bored the case and installed roller bearings or steel inserts for the counter shaft. I wonder if I should look into that.

Or just buy a passon 5.

Or buy a 6.4 with six speed.

It's just about gotta be an od trans. I've got enough parts to build an all aluminum 1:1 but don't know if there's any special considerations to do so.

I remember a mopar muscle where they bored the case and installed roller bearings or steel inserts for the counter shaft. I wonder if I should look into that.

Or just buy a passon 5.

Or buy a 6.4 with six speed.
Yea not to sure what would be best , I've dealt with Brewer Performance and they would be good to ask !

Input bearing retainer is the easiest way to I.d. an overdrive that I know of.

Its a factory O.D. I have had a few of them.
They work fine as is, no need to bush the case unless you are running a high horse motor.

Its a factory O.D. I have had a few of them.
They work fine as is, no need to bush the case unless you are running a high horse motor.
Thanks.One other question . Should the front shifter arm be pointed downward while the other two point upward?

Thanks everyone that gave me info, now I know what I have, appreciate all the help from everyone .

-
Back