A-904 Rebuild Problems

-

Travis G.

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just finishing rebuilding my A-904-G (my first rebuild) and put it back in my 65' Valiant this evening. Filled it up with fluids and went to fire it up. First thing I found was that it wouldn't crank over in park, so I put it in neutral and it fired up. As it was warming up in neutral I reved the motor a little and the car lurked forward. When I put the car in drive it didn't want to move too much, like it was still filling up with fluid. Then I ran through all the gears (P-N-D-2-1) and they all want the car to move forward like it is in drive. I'm thinking it might be the shift cable adjustment, the cable from the steering column to the transmission. Maybe it is out of adjustment so the steering column and the valve body are not in-sink??? I threw in a picture of the style shift cable I have, because Iv'e seen a few different types. My rebuild included O-Rings, seals, bushings, kickdown band, and friction plates. I did rebuild the valve body but I really don't think I messes it up in the process. I would really like to hear your guys advise because this weekend warrior got in over his head.
Thanks guys and happy holidays!!!

Shift Linkage.PNG

You'll definitely want to verify cable adjustment. Very fussy.

Very first thing to do if you have not is block the drive wheels.

Yes, first thing first check linkage...
Did you include a shift kit??..

Thanks for all the advise, turns out it was the shift linkage to the valve body. Once it got properly adjusted the transmission started acting normal. All good advise, especially the wheel chalks.

-
Back