A-904 Serviceable?

-

Tim.g.howard

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I've been working on my '63 Valiant and I got to the point I decided to rebuild the transmission. I've finally gotten it out of the car and torn down and I'd like some advice.

There is evidence of destruction in the Bell Housing and I'd like a recommendation if this housing is useable still or if I have to resort to trying to find a replacement. In the pictures.. you'll see where the kickdown band and adjuster sit inside the housing... there is a large... "gash" there. What did this look like before and is this still "serviceable"? Also there scoring on the bell housing interior but I don't imagine this would be as much of an issue as a significant and functional portion of the kickdown band housing missing.

From inside...
A904 inside.jpg

From above...
A904 above.jpg

Surface scoring...
A904 scoring.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

So I've been working on my '63 Valiant and I got to the point I decided to rebuild the transmission. I've finally gotten it out of the car and torn down and I'd like some advice.

There is evidence of destruction in the Bell Housing and I'd like a recommendation if this housing is useable still or if I have to resort to trying to find a replacement. In the pictures.. you'll see where the kickdown band and adjuster sit inside the housing... there is a large... "gash" there. What did this look like before and is this still "serviceable"? Also there scoring on the bell housing interior but I don't imagine this would be as much of an issue as a significant and functional portion of the kickdown band housing missing.

From inside...
View attachment 1716189897

From above...
View attachment 1716189898

Surface scoring...
View attachment 1716189899

Thanks,

Tim

I don’t see a problem.
It looks like it might have broken a band at some point in its life causing the scrapped up area, but it wont hurt functionality at all.

I don’t see a problem.
It looks like it might have broken a band at some point in its life causing the scrapped up area, but it wont hurt functionality at all.
YAY! Thank You...

I suppose it won't really hurt to try... the car drove "in Drive" before I pulled it out.. it had just been refusing to go into reverse. It went into Neutral and Park ok ... so far as I experimented.

Now is a good time to pull your push buttons from the dash and clean the mechanism .
They get mighty funky after 60 years.You don't have to disconnect the cables just pull it out enough to get a rag under and blast away with WD 40.It will work so much better.

I rebuilt it! One of the “spring clips” was broken on the “D”rive button plate and a buddy of mine was able to fabricate a new one from spring steel. I cleaned and reassembled and put in new bulbs. Its so nice now!

IMG_1612.jpeg

Does anyone know why the back of the Drive button is painted and blocks illumination from the bulb?

Does anyone know why the back of the Drive button is painted and blocks illumination from the bulb?
Interesting... hadn't thought about it. Might just be a way to differentiate and index the other buttons at night???

This is a 64 mechanism

20240109_190958.jpg

-
Back