A-arms for 10 small bolt drum brakes???

-
All pre '73 spindles, 9" & 10" drum and disc brake use the same upper and lower control arms.

The lower ball joints are different. You just match the ball joint to the spindle that you are using.

Chuck

The drums and spindles are from a 74, planning on using them on a 64 bracket racer. Do I need 73 and up arms for 10" drum brakes? They are 10" small bolt. Just wondering if new arms are needed to mount them on 64 9" drum a arms? I heard that all 73 and up, disc or drum a arms where they same for big bolt and small bolt?? if not anyone have a set of a arms around?

The drums and spindles are from a 74, planning on using them on a 64 bracket racer. Do I need 73 and up arms for 10" drum brakes? They are 10" small bolt. Just wondering if new arms are needed to mount them on 64 9" drum a arms? I heard that all 73 and up, disc or drum a arms where they same for big bolt and small bolt?? if not anyone have a set of a arms around?

'74 drums will be larger bolt pattern. If in fact your drums are the 4" pattern, they are '72 & earlier. Therefore you would not need to change the arms. 73 & later uca's use a larger ball joint up top.

'74 drums will be larger bolt pattern. If in fact your drums are the 4" pattern, they are '72 & earlier. Therefore you would not need to change the arms. 73 & later uca's use a larger ball joint up top.

FWIW: My originally drum braked '73 Dart had the BBJ UCA and the SBP wheel. It is my understanding that all 73 & > drum brake cars were outfitted this way. What I've seen in the yards support this.

Either way, if you're going to use the 73 or later spindle, you will need the later UCA and larger ball joint.

It's very common to have 10" small bolt pattern brakes on the front of a-bodies in Canada, maybe the States is different?? All the slant six a-bodies I've seen in Canada with drum brakes seem to be small bolt both in 9" and 10". I've got another set of disc brake spindles that I might aswell use if I have to get new arms. Any car both slant six and v8 with disc came with big bolt front disc brakes on the car. I've heard the 73 and up 10" small bolt drums use the same arms as the 73 and up disc cars. Is this right? Did they change the 9" upper arms aswell?

That's not true.
All drum brakes on the A body cars were the small 4 inch bolt pattern, until the end in 1976.
No such thing as a large bolt pattern drum brake A body car.

It's very common to have 10" small bolt pattern brakes on the front of a-bodies in Canada, maybe the States is different?? All the slant six a-bodies I've seen in Canada with drum brakes seem to be small bolt both in 9" and 10". I've got another set of disc brake spindles that I might aswell use if I have to get new arms. Any car both slant six and v8 with disc came with big bolt front disc brakes on the car. I've heard the 73 and up 10" small bolt drums use the same arms as the 73 and up disc cars. Is this right? Did they change the 9" upper arms aswell?

1) ALL A body drum brake cars were small bolt pattern from the factory right through their production end in 1976.

2) 9" drums ended early model year 73 (they used up the left-overs from 72)

3) All 73 up disc brake A bodies were large bolt pattern.

4) All 73 + up A bodies (with the exception of #2 above) used the same large ball joint UCA.

5) All 72 back (to 65 or 64 maybe, not certain) A bodies use the same small ball joint UCA.

6) 72 back used 3 different spindles and 3 different lower ball joints; 1 for disc brakes, 1 for 9" drums and 1 for 10" drums.

7) 73 + up A bodies (with the exception of #2 above) used 2 different spindles; 1 for disc brakes, 1 for drum brakes. Both use the same lower ball joint.

:read2:

-
Back