A bit of water in my oil

-

Justin Brown

Reaction score
Alright guys so I got a 67 barracuda with the 273 and my question is how normal or how often do you guys see condensation in these motors in the winter. I make about a 20 minute drive to and from work in it generally two or three times a week. I allow it a proper warm up in the morning but in the afternoon when the air is warmer about 50ish or so I jump in and play light foot with the throttle until it's at a happy temperature. Anyway today I check my oil and it's picking up a little mayo on the dipstick. It's not a full mix just a bit everytime I dip it. I have no noticable water loss, no oil in my water, that I can see. No indications that it ran hot but it's just something I haven't seen before. I usually drive it in the summer not so much in the winter. I'm guessing and I'm probably right that the right answer is to change it start it up drive it for a bit and check it again to alleviate or verify my concerns. Just hoping to scrape a little wisdom off you guys.

Have you drained any oil to see if any water comes out of the pan before oil does?

Is your PVC system working?

Condensation can be a problem in colder temps with short drives.

I'm all oil on the bottom my guess from the dipstick is I have a very thin film floating on top. My PCV should be working as it's an open vented oil cap straight to the breather. The other side does have a valve I believe running to a vacuum port so it could be froze shut. We have had rain twice a week since August and I'm in North Carolina we're humidity is real and heavy so to say the air is wet is an understatement. I took a picture of the dipstick just to illustrate. The Mayo is just the small white slime spot on the side of the tip.
IMG_20190107_214350036.jpg

I've also found the same condition under the oil fill cap on the valve cover. 65'

I've also found the same condition under the oil fill cap on the valve cover. 65'
My valve covers take all of 4 minutes to pop off I'll look under them tomorrow and make sure my PCV is still capable of sucking. I can't tell what's going on in my oil cap it's the old tin slide on slide off with a 90 degree hose port on the side. Really it's more of a fancy hole in a valve cover.

all oil on the bottom my guess from the dipstick is I have a very thin film floating on top
Oil floats on water so any water would be at the bottom of the pan and when enough collects it will get sucked through the oil system. Do a pressure test on the cooling system to rule out a leak into the engine.

my welded aluminum valve covers were brutal in the wet coast weather , used to drive me nuts with all the cream I would find coating their insides .

I rebuilt a carb recently and used the wrong intake gasket which cut off the pcv.
Same symptoms as you.
Just a thought, when trying to make improvements sometimes problems are made that didn't exist prior.

PVC must be fully working. With PVC on the right side and engine running, you should be able to put your hand over the left uncapped breather hole and feel some vacuum. Breather cap on left side should be sealed so that all fumes/moisture is vacated.

-
Back