A Bodies with Driving Lights

-
What am I doing with fog lights? Leaving them off (the car because they're not useful) and leaving them (turned) off on cars equipped with them. Please read this for thorough information about what fog lamps will/won't and can/can't do. They aren't all-the-time auxiliary headlights.

But if you're going for the vintage look (and you're not going to run them all the time like a dillweed as "lookit meeeeeeee" lights) then the dumb blue mini ricer litez you can buy these days just don't belong, it's gotta be something like a set of vintage Cibie 35s hung under the bumper:

Airport35.jpg

Or Cibié 95s, just like the ones on the '74 Scamp in the '75 Cibié catalog (pic later; catalogue's AWOL from my shelf)

Well then...

I personally love the look of fog lights on a bodies and would be excited as well to see some.

Or Cibié 95s, just like the ones on the '74 Scamp in the '75 Cibié catalog (pic later; catalogue's AWOL from my shelf)

Dan, is Cibie still in business? Or is Hella or Marchal still making lamps today? When I was younger back in the day, they were the big names.

I have A bodies not mud trucks

and it's not the 1970's anymore
\

To pull it off they would also need, Extend a shackles, n 50's on slots, one fog lamp pointing at the sky , one straight down, Bee-Gee's cranked up and bell bottoms that would make Travolta jealous.

If they gonna do it why do it half-arsed, go for the full premium retro package. lol

I always thought a set in the valence on an A-body, similar to the lamps under the front of a '71 Roadrunner, would be cool.

I'll never do it though. Not until Dan signs off on it.

Well if Dan had just 1 nerve left, I think you plucked it...lol. I'm with you Dan - IF we put fogs on our early A's, they'd have to be period correct, but that's not happening here either.......

Dan, is Cibie still in business?

Cibie is still a "live" brand, yes. Since the early 1970s the brand has belonged to Valeo, an auto parts conglomerate that also makes wipers, brakes, clutches, radiators, alternators, starters, locks, switches, A/C compressors and condensers and evaporators, and a whole bunch of other kinds of parts. The Cibie product line isn't as big as it was when our cars were current, but there's a revival under way; they just launched a collection of LED Cibie Oscars. See here (promo movie here). But those aren't fog lamps, they're "driving" lamps. "Driving lamp" is a widely misunderstood term. People use it to refer to all kinds of different lights. They're really auxiliary high beams. They are effective, safe, and legal only for use with the vehicle's main high beam headlamps on dark, empty roads (or off road). Never with low beams, never by themselves, and never in traffic.

Or is Hella or Marchal still making lamps today?

Marchal was another Valeo brand; sadly, that line was killed off in the late '80s - early '90s. There were some fantastic Marchal lamps, and what better logo to sell car lights with than a cat!

Hella is still big, and they have a big aftermarket product line. Some of it's great, much of it's good, some of it's pfft.

Then there is J.W. Speaker, a 3rd-generation American company designing and manufacturing mindblowingly-good LED headlamps and auxiliary lamps fully in America. They make the world's best 7" round headlamp in chrome and in black. (Yes, it fits directly in an A-body, drop-in, fully street-legal, no rewiring or relays needed, among the best headlamps on the road, supa keen numba one...but it's high-tech stuff that costs high-tech money!)

That's what I was tellin em in another thread Dan!! The new high tec stuff cost many, many dollars! My brother in law works for Clarion and does light setups as a side business! Some of his halo headlight setups for the high tec tuner crowd can cost $1500 a piece or more! Bet some of those guys have well over $10k into lighting alone!

As for fog lamps, I'm not a fan! Except maybe on an old Ramcharger or Trail Duster!! Geof

-
Back