-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swept57

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I have an A-body narrowed 8-3/4 rear end for sale. The narrowing was done by a professional and it has new axles. This was assembled for my buddy's Barracuda that he sold before installing. He wanted to run vintage small-bolt Cragars without air shocks. Flange-to-flange distance is 54". It is a 3:91 posi unit in a 741 carrier. The axles are drilled for small and big bolt pattern but has studs installed in the small bolt pattern. It has 10" brake backing plates but no brake hardware. The housing and brake backing plate have some pitting as the rearend came out of an Ohio car. It was bead blasted but some light surface rust has appeared. I hope to get some pics up this weekend. Feel free to make an offer. I don't need it and I want to get rid of it. Might consider trades for e-body stuff. Dave

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that the rear end is located in Medina, OH.

Sounds like a standard length a body axle to me with the housing flange measurement if 54

I'm kinda new at this, but I thought B body was 54", A body is 52 5/8", do I have this right? Do you have to narrow a B rear if you change rim back spacing or cut wheel openings?

If it's 54" drum to drum, std A body is 57 1/8", it's about 1.5" shorter on each side.

Good luck with the sale.

54" flange to flange sound like a B body axle housing, A bodies housings are 52-5/8's.
Drum to drum 54" would be more like it for an A body.

Sounds like what we need to know is what flange to flange means. Is it housing flange to housing flange?

Axle Flange to axle flange can vary depending on what brakes it was meant to be used with, can't it? And this set of axles is drilled for both bolt patterns which only confuses the matter more?

Sounds like a standard length a body axle to me with the housing flange measurement if 54

I don't know the details of how much it was shortened but I know that it was. The 54" measurement was from axle flange to axle flange and I will confirm that measurenent tonight. I will also post some pictures tonight. The rearend is located in Medina OH near Akron. It is about a 3-hour drive from Cinci. Dave

Here's a good reference for rear lengths. Housing, axle and total length/widths

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

A body 8.75 only had one brake package, SBP, so housing lengths wouldn't vary from the factory lengths listing in the link. My guess they are SBP axles with bolt patterns in them. You can't shorten an 8.75 too much in an A with stock spring location because the U-bolts will start biting into the housing ends.

Per the above link, the stock drum-to-drum dimension is 57-1/8". I am not sure where this measurement is actually taken from but it is probably similar to my axle flange to flange measurement (except may not account for drum plate thickness) This implies that the housing was narrowed about 1-1/2 inches on each side. My 54 inch measurement was kind of crude, I'll recheck. I am certain that the spring perches were not relocated but I will verify that as well. This was inteneded to be a bolt in affair that would allow the use of 7 or 8in Cragar SBP wheels. I had the wheels as well but they are now sold. Dave

Attached are some pictures of the rearend. A better estimate from the measurements is drum to drum is 54 inches. Tape measure is referenced to the opposng side brake backing plate. Based on similar items I have seen and offers received, I'd like to get $800 for it. Offers considered. Dave

Attachments

• 8.75_01.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • 8.75_02.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,010
  • 8.75_03.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,007
  • 8.75_04.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 2,026
I'll have to try to get into my shop tomorrow & take a couple of measurements to see if this would work for me. Can you get a measurement of the diameter of the drum register on the axles? Will they fit a standard A body drum?

I'll have to try to get into my shop tomorrow & take a couple of measurements to see if this would work for me. Can you get a measurement of the diameter of the drum register on the axles? Will they fit a standard A body drum?

Drum register is 2.25 inches. I believe it was setup for stock drums. Dave

would you be willing to sell the housing and axles together without the center section?

Do you still have this?
I have an A-body narrowed 8-3/4 rear end for sale. The narrowing was done by a professional and it has new axles. This was assembled for my buddy's Barracuda that he sold before installing. He wanted to run vintage small-bolt Cragars without air shocks. Flange-to-flange distance is 54". It is a 3:91 posi unit in a 741 carrier. The axles are drilled for small and big bolt pattern but has studs installed in the small bolt pattern. It has 10" brake backing plates but no brake hardware. The housing and brake backing plate have some pitting as the rearend came out of an Ohio car. It was bead blasted but some light surface rust has appeared. I hope to get some pics up this weekend. Feel free to make an offer. I don't need it and I want to get rid of it. Might consider trades for e-body stuff. Dave

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that the rear end is located in Medina, OH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back