A-Body 8 3/4

-

bmxican

Mopar Aficionado
Reaction score
So, a few days ago I had my eye set on that 1990 Dodge Truck with the Dana 60 (I believe) axle. Well, after reading your guys' suggestions, I looked around for an 8 3/4. Last night I found one and jumped on it this morning!

Here it is:

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

It came out of a Dart. What do you guys think? It was 3.23 open gears. It is freshly rebuilt. What is the worth on one of these? I thought these where rare/hard to find... did I just get lucky enough to stumble across one? Good enough for a mild cam stock 440? Hope so... :D

PS: I thought the bolt pattern would be 4.5" ???

If you bought it why the what's something like this worth. Could be as little as $350 to as much as $800. What's the center to center on the spring perches, should be 43" for an A body.

Hope you got a good deal on it.

As far as a 440 with a mild cam, yes that rear will handle it. Wheels are tougher to come by due to the 4" bolt circle

Looks like you found yourself what most A-body folks are looking for. A complete drum to drum A body 8 3/4 with the 4 inch (standard early A drum brake bolt pattern) and unique to the A-bodies. Easily converted the 4.5 bolt pattern with replacement or redrilled axles/drums.

The factory 440 combinations with auto trans all had 8 3/4 rearends standard. With a good gear selection, and Sure Grip center section, you will have no problems with an 8 3/4. You will break a standard axle before you hurt the center section, and that will take some horsepower.

Great rearend....in your described engine combo...you do not need the Dana 60.

I am sure there will be many members who chime in on this one.

All A body 8 3/4 rears had 4" spacing on wheel studs. You can either drill the hubs and drums, get longer axles shortened and re-splined or buy aftermarket axles with large bolt pattern. With a 440 might not want re-drilled axles they will be pretty close to the edge of the flange.

Its a good setup...especially if you want to keep the small bolt pattern. All a-body 8 3/4's are 5 on 4" bolt pattern. If you want the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern you'll have to get new axle shafts as well as brakes and backing plates, but its still a good setup if you have one of the a-bodys with narrow rear wheel wells.

I recently used a 68 B-body axle in my duster's wide wheelwells because it fits a little better and already had the proper axles and backing plates for 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Check it out http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=54932

If you don't want it, It would look perfect under my 65 valiant.. the only problem is my wife says I have spent too much on my car already..
Trade for a 7 1/4 ?

Ya, no kidding. I'll trade ya for all kinds of stuff. How about a Toyoda celica GT??? HaHaHa!!! Just kidding. Or Am I???? Anyway, What did you pay for that???

If you bought it why the what's something like this worth. Could be as little as $350 to as much as $800. What's the center to center on the spring perches, should be 43" for an A body.

Hope you got a good deal on it.

As far as a 440 with a mild cam, yes that rear will handle it. Wheels are tougher to come by due to the 4" bolt circle

Forgot to mention, I paid $500 for it. My bad... I wanted to change to the 4.5" bolt circleto match the front. I have front spindles off a V8 1973 Dart so I can run discs up front. Those will have 4.5" pattern, right?

If you don't want it, It would look perfect under my 65 valiant.. the only problem is my wife says I have spent too much on my car already..
Trade for a 7 1/4 ?

I already have a 7 1/4 that I'm replacing with the axle above.

im sorry i think i got you beat i grabbed an a body 8-3/4 rebuilt with 391's axles and housing along with a b body housing and axles for about 400 bucks and its the clutch type so it can get rebuilt!!

I paid $1000 for mine,a body housing,3.55 suregrip,11x2 1/2" brakes,4.5" bolt pattern,adjustable pinion snubber,large yoke,2 yrs ago,all rebuilt.

Not bad.

On the fronts, depends on the year car you are going to put the spindles on. If it's a 72 down car you'll need big ball joint upper arms.

You can drill the current axles and drums to 4.5" bc. If you go with aftermarket, you'll need to get some bbp backing plates and drums. The SBP stuff doesn't interchange.

Not bad.

On the fronts, depends on the year car you are going to put the spindles on. If it's a 72 down car you'll need big ball joint upper arms.

You can drill the current axles and drums to 4.5" bc. If you go with aftermarket, you'll need to get some bbp backing plates and drums. The SBP stuff doesn't interchange.

It has the big ball joints and I have the spindles and the upper control arms.

-
Back