A-body Air Grabber??

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed one on an A-body or done a mod similar to one? You gotta admit, its a pretty cool scoop8)
148775140_13d7744cc5.jpg

It would look great with the flat hood and straight lines on a 67-76 Dart. Might eat up some of that valuable under hood clearance.

would be nice idea if it wasnt a fortune for the bubble, ive wanted one for years to put on my 71 rr

It would look great with the flat hood and straight lines on a 67-76 Dart. Might eat up some of that valuable under hood clearance.
I was thinking if you made a ram air box like on RR and Super bees had for their scoops, it could work out great! I was kinda curious about it cuz I would love to have a hood scoop one day that was hidden on my car for the full sleeper effect. Just pop the scoop when you wanna8).

I feel you on that racekilla! The 71-72 Runners look killer with the AG scoop on em. But they are an arm and a leg for one! I am gonna just fab one if I end up going for one, Just gonna make it a little wider and longer. Oh, and not so grandma slow to close and open from the videos I have seen. I have an idea on the motor, I have an old remote control car that use to freaking whip around, I was gonna rip the motor out and make a toothed straight piece underneath and have the motor activate by switch to push it up.

Sorry, this tends to happen when I get stuck at home, I sit around and just think about things in my head:toothy10:

My air grabber is hid out 8) and does a good job.
But I must say that does look like a good application for an A body =P~

Attachments

• June%20third%202010%20helping%20Creed%20Clean%20My%20Closet%20area%20OUT!%20010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,162
you can buy just the scoop part cheap... then fab up the rest.. making a motor work should not be that bad, could use vaccum. I know the 70 chevelle i did had the cowl hood and when u got into it the flapper would open.

here you go! this is in the archives of(mopar general discussions) by 66340sedan

Attachments

• duster airgrabber.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,240
Thats soo sweet, Id love to have one. Hey Dartt if you figure it out, Ill have you come do one for me :D

you can buy just the scoop part cheap... then fab up the rest.. making a motor work should not be that bad, could use vaccum. I know the 70 chevelle i did had the cowl hood and when u got into it the flapper would open.
Can't seem to find the scoop part cheap. All of em seem to be a couple hundred bucks and none of them seem to be metal :angry7:. And they ran off vacuum originally it seems. I think that would cause problems though in performance applications because of a lack of vacuum, just like power boosters

here you go! this is in the archives of(mopar general discussions) by 66340sedan

Thanks Ric! Pretty damn cool!8)

memike, you do realize that unplugged nipple is suckin in unfiltered air, right? and while I'm at it, where's your battery?

the duster with air grabber in the picture shown must of used a 70 roadrunner or gtx airgrabber hood grafted on.

i just looked for scoops and they did go up in price, sorry dart. I stopped looking like two years ago lol. figured one day come across the set up in a swap meet

and for vacuum i know on the chevelle the vacuum held the flapper down.. when you started it would suck closed/down.. at w.o.t. zero vacuum the flapper would open up. i always knew when my buddy had his foot in it.

You know what would be even cooler then one?!?!? Two of them, oh boy now Im gettin the all tingly car feeling :happy10:

memike, you do realize that unplugged nipple is suckin in unfiltered air, right? and while I'm at it, where's your battery?
That is an old picture :happy10: I have the correct size nipples covering the two tubes now :happy10: The battery is in the trunk and a kill switch to the car mounted on my fresh air door in the drivers side vent.

Here is the newer pictures I took out of my restoration thread SS
I love my auto trunk opener, no more fumbling for keys and the relay is for the trunk latch

Sorry for hijacking your grabber hood thread DarTT

Attachments

• FOR%20SALE%20FABO%20034.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Tim%20Morlin%20Visit%207%2022%202010%20011.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,087
  • FOR%20SALE%20FABO%20036.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,064
and for vacuum i know on the chevelle the vacuum held the flapper down.. when you started it would suck closed/down.. at w.o.t. zero vacuum the flapper would open up. i always knew when my buddy had his foot in it.
Interesting. Thank you for trying though racekilla. I will probably fabricate one and post an instructional on it for other too. See, the air grabber works the reverse way, the switch opens up some vacuum thing that opens it. Im still not 100% on how it works, but I know a vacuum is in that equation. :toothy10:. And looking at that hood again, yeah, they did skin a roadrunner hood and chop it down to size and reskined theirs.

I think I will draw out my idea. Its pretty simple and I think it could work well. All that would be needed is a fresh air box attached to the intake and to fabricate the scoop part that pops up, some plastic stock to make the toothed stick, and some rubber for gaskets which I have a beaten and torn old windshield gasket I could use for that. I think once I get my car running and driving around, I will end up doing this once I have it planned out well enough. My hood is trashed anyway from all the rust at the front of it, its very pitted so I would love to put it to good use in Dr. FrankenKlein's Lab! MWUAHAHA.:toothy10: This is probably gonna be a while til that, but I will probably fiddle with the idea and come up with a good design for it

Here is the newer pictures I took out of my restoration thread SS
I love my auto trunk opener, no more fumbling for keys and the relay is for the trunk latch

Sorry for hijacking your grabber hood thread DarTT
I don't care lol. I just learned thanks to you we can have a trunk popper for our A-bodies. How did you do that? I'm just gonna jack my own thread now, thanks:toothy10:LOL

i know newer gm have the trunk popper like that.... my 79 amx does as well lol.. and dartt build a set up i want to see...cause i wouldn't mind doing it either

Oh I will for sure, there's not a doubt I will do it, in the end, it will be cheaper than buying a new hood or a six pack scoop Im pretty sure

Here is the underhood pic of that Duster. Its a local car to me and is as nice as a diamond ring. Whoever built that car did a fantastic job.

Attachments

• laborday06 172.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 924
I always had three things i wanted on my 68 fish. 1. Exhaust cutouts, 2. Pistol Grip Shifter 3. Air Grabber, to open as the exhaust cutouts open simultaneously, I have the cutouts and pistolgrip. I love the AG's!!!

Nice setup! Only thing I question/change is the air cleaner lid. I'd use a k&n filter and k&n x-stream air lid, so I could take as much of advantage as I could for the air grabber

-
Back