A body/B body housngs length?

-

kempkan

Reaction score
I was told today that a b body housing is actually more narrow than an a body housing is this true? If so will it work if i have already done a relocation kit and tubs? And last question what offset do i now have to run. I know its alot of questions at once but i blew a ford 9in apart a few days ago and just bought new wheels and really dont want to buy new ones they are 3 weeks old. Thanks again for the help i just wanna race!

...........1966-7-8 B body have 29 in axles, 69-70 have 30 in axles, ..ur A body has 28 in axles...............A body is shorter at least 2 ins.........kim.........

You were told wrong. No B-body housing is narrower than an A-body housing like Kim said. No idea on what your offset needs to be as any time you modify something it changes. I'd say build the rearend to work with your wheels since you don't want to buy new ones. If the wheels were designed for a stock size A-body rear use a stock size A-body rear so the wheels will fit.

Ok well I found an early b body housing with an 11 in. Brakes for 85 bucks with axles. I also found a 742 center with a 4.56 richmond gears with a sure grip for 350. Is this an ok deal? I will be seeing the guy tomorrow and I need someone else's opinion let me know. Thanks.

Ok well I found an early b body housing with an 11 in. Brakes for 85 bucks with axles.

The only early B 8.75 that is even close to the A Body size is from a 62 (and still won't have the perches in the right location). The downside to this axle (as well as those up through 64), is you need a brake drum puller. Even the early B guys don't like these type rear ends - they're always looking for the 65-70 B Body kind, which bolts right in to their 62-64 B Bodies. Maybe that's why it's so cheap. I'd try and find an A Body 8.75 - they're out there.

I have to wonder what you were doing with the 9" that it broke? If you broke a 9" is an 8 3/4 going to be much different?

Well the 9 in had a spool and I'm guessing over time it just decided to go. The guy also has an body 8 3/4 but I'm worried about buying new rims I just bought new rims they are 3 weeks old that's why I don't want to go with a 5x4 bolt pattern. From what I was told the early b body is only 1 in wider and I can use my rims with that. As far as the perches it really doesn't matter I have new perches to weld on. I just wanted someone else's advice.

I have a friend with a '73 dart Sport with a '69 B-body rear. He just needed to move the spring perches and get wheels with the right backspacing.

Ok one question answered but what about the center I'm debating on? I'm thinking I might buy the housing now unless I hear a good argument. I have till tomorrow to decide.

4.56 not very street friendly. great for a race car. fair price if s/g is in good condition.

1st..junk the 9'' buy the a-body rear and have the axles welded and redrilled to the larger bolt pattern....simple...done it twice...if u compare the 8 3/4 dropout 3rd member to the 9'' fraud, the 9'' internals are a puss compared to mopars sure-grip...only 2 advantages is the housing is factory gusseted or braced alittle better which can be remedied and they are cheaper[9''] the 8 3/4 will withstand alot of abuse and if u can get an a-body rear -end even with small bolt pattern u better snatch it up and the best part is it'll be all MOPAR...I wouldnt bother with a b-body rear if I had access to an a-body one with not much effort you would have what you want....or u could buy new axles like I did....jus my 2 cents worth

The a body rear has no backing plates or brakes for the same price ($85). I'm leaving my decision up to everyone I can't decide.

Either will work. The early B-body isn't that much wider but you do have to relocate the spring perches. You'll also need different wheels with more back spacing. $350 for a 3rd member with a sure grip is cheap enough but as Pete said 4.56 gears are not street friendly gears. I had 4:10's in my Cuda at first and didn't even like them. Hate to imagine 4.56's

If you can get an A-body rear, even without backing plates, your better off as it'll bolt right in and you can use the same wheels you have now. You can find stock size 10x1-3/4 brake stuff for an A-body fairly cheap or you can look around and upgrade to bigger brakes which is a good option. Only disadvantage is you'll need different axles.

As for the Ford 9" rears. There are several cases of them like an 8-3/4. I'm not positive but I don't think all 9" cases even have the gussets so they are not really that strong of a rear. They also have a smaller pinion diameter than even the 741 case 8-3/4. Only reason they do as well as they do is they have a 3rd pinion bearing n the back for support. If it weren't for that they'd be junk, IMO.

-
Back