A body big block 727

-

fish'sfish

Reaction score
Is there a special transmission for A body (big block) or are they all the same? I don't know if A body has a differect length transmission or are they all the same (B Body, E Body)?

All car 727's are the same length. 4x4's, some 1 ton trucks, and some motor homes used different length output shafts/housings.

Motor Home 727 without the e/brake drum on the tail shaft are about the length of a short shaft Turbo 400. I had this in my 65 dart. Much shorter then the original and long 727.

Motor home trans have hemi parts in them. And tail shafts can be inter changed. I grab every motor home trans I can around here

Oh good thing I have two 727 out of motor homes 1 a 440 other a 360. So they should have the 4 pinion planetary? Good base for a drag tranny?

This answered some of the questions I had about 727s. One unanswered question has any one used a fixed yoke out of a 4x4 in an a body? I can get a rebuilt one for 250 from a guy. I just have to have a different drive line with a slip yoke right. The mount is the same? Thanks and merry christmas

Hi! As stated above, all are the same, but the kick down linkage for A body big block automatics are a special design A body BB only. Although you can use the Lokar kick down cable ETC instead, all depending on what your doing with the car and how important it is to you regarding the "correct" part. A repo is available, I got one for my 67 383 Auto S fastback

Motor home trans have hemi parts in them. And tail shafts can be inter changed. I grab every motor home trans I can around here

Are you sure about that? The only thing I ever saw different in the motor home 727 compared to a normal 727 was it had a solid front band(and not in all motor home transmissions), not the flex band. Friction plates same old Raybestos waffle plates, same rear band. It did not have the hemi 3 piece band, hemi drum, or anything else hemi in it that I could tell.

True HEMI stuff kinda rare.

Are you sure about that? The only thing I ever saw different in the motor home 727 compared to a normal 727 was it had a solid front band(and not in all motor home transmissions), not the flex band. Friction plates same old Raybestos waffle plates, same rear band. It did not have the hemi 3 piece band, hemi drum, or anything else hemi in it that I could tell.

True HEMI stuff kinda rare.

Agreed. This is exactly what I've found in motor home 727's also. Heavy duty, yes. Hemi parts, no. They are a good basis to build a performance trans from

This answered some of the questions I had about 727s. One unanswered question has any one used a fixed yoke out of a 4x4 in an a body? I can get a rebuilt one for 250 from a guy. I just have to have a different drive line with a slip yoke right. The mount is the same? Thanks and merry christmas

Not to hijack the OP thread, but yes I just worked on a car that a local "custom car builder" had installed a motorhome 440 and 727 in a 76 Dart. What a butcher hack job he did. used the front sump oil pan and cut out all but the front of the K-member to get it in. Also had to have a custom drive shaft made to use the fixed yoke 727 and rigged the trans cross member in it also. In my opinion, any thing you would save on the cost of the MH 727 you will spend on a drive shaft and fabbing the trans mount cross member. Don't do it!

-
Back