A Body Big Block Cooling and Lube

-

Dubob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all. As I am new to the A Body I am looking for input as to what others are using as far as radiators (22" 26" aluminum brass rows fans) and oil pans ( 187 402 aftermarket) and what types of clearance on oil pans to k frame, pavement, steering linkage, headers. I am trying to find combinations for the transplant of the 440 into the demon. Also what types of cooling fans (mechanical, electrical). The car will be primarily street driven. Does not have a/c. I have searched but this information is scattered or not available through out the forum. Thanks to everyone for the input.

I used a #187 oil pan, which you can also use a #699. On some of these oil pans, you may have to add a little more clearance for the Idler arm. I had to move one corner in about a 1/4" for better clearance. As for the radiator, I use one from Be-cool that sits on the frame rails with there twin fan set-up. As for your exhaust, Schumacher headers and motor mounts is what I always have used. You can use TTI headers. You may want to go with an 8 1/4 rear or an 8 3/4 rear if you do not have one already.

Thanks 68. The car has 8 3/4 factory no gears yet. Was going to use Schumacher and have been eye balling their tri y headers. Also their poly loc mounts as I have broken mounts in some B Bodies.

I wanted to retain a semi-stock look and not cut the core support for a larger radiator so I went with a 22" 3 row from US Radiator (for late '60's BB Abody). It took a few mods but that was several years ago and they have more options now for that unit.

A fan shroud is an absolute must. If you go with a clutch fan, then a Hayden #2765 thermal clutch is your only option for clearance. I played with an electric fan setup and got no better results than I did with a clutch unit. Finally went with a solid fan to get the amount of cooling I wanted. Milodon hi-flow stat. When I later added a chin spoiler (Spoilers by Randy) an unexpected benefit was more air diverted up through the core too.

Schumacher mounts, headers and torque rod (for extra insurance). Back then they didn't sell the poly mounts but did sell what they called a "Magnum" mount which was an upgrade to their standard mount. It's an interloc style mount which is essentially the same as a Mity-mount (http://mitymounts.com/chrysler.htm)

Used a 187 pan but still had to dimple it in one spot for idler clearance.

Attachments

• linkageimg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 185
-
Back