A body buyers guide??

-

freak007

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Malachi and I am new to this site...

I have been a Mopar fan since I was about 15 or so... Over the years I have built and sold several cars, but what I always wanted was a Big Block A body...

I honestly don't want anything special 'cause I am going to redo it MY way... I am leaning towards a 67-69 Dart (LIGHT), but i also like the Duster, Demon, Swinger... well actually all of them :D. My plan is a strip/street car, big cubes, light weight, auto trans, 10.5 tire... possible forced induction (spray or Procharger to keep it under the hood)...

Since I have sold my Cutlass, the wife has finally given me the okay to buy another car... This one WILL be an A body... But I have alot more research to do before actually making the dive... Is there an A body Buyers guide out there somewhere??

Specifically what I am looking for is a breakdown of curb weights, also common rust areas, and body panel interchangeability...

Can anyone help?

i could swear that someone on here had started to create one or finished one...cant remember what the thread was called though or who it was by...try searching it on here and see what you get

Welcome to FABO freak! I don't know if there is an all encompassing A-body buying guide. I have seen a couple of A-body buying articles in a few mags but of course, they can't offer all the info available. Vehicle weights are listed all over the place on the web. Some quick searches will give you that info.

Re: rust on Mopars. Generally, I think we can all agree that the top three areas are: the lower quarters, below the rear window (and into the filler panel between the rear window and the trunk) and in the trunk area (in the channels and the spare tire well). There are going to be other problem areas but it is going to depend where the car is from and where it lived all its life and if it was driven on salted roads, etc.

As far as body panel interchangeability, there is the Mopar Interchange Guide but even then, there are a few things left out. I highly recommend asking about specific bodystyles/years here and those with those cars will chime in.

I am in IL, originally from MN... I am looking for a car from out of state 'cause I do not want to deal with the rust... I learned a long time ago that you are time and money ahead to buy a clean (not repainted) car to start with... Rust repair gets expensive fast

I wouldnt buy anything older than a 67. I have a 66 and the part are hard to find. Look in any parts catalog and you will see the easy to find things stop at 67. Good luck.

I wouldnt buy anything older than a 67. I have a 66 and the part are hard to find. Look in any parts catalog and you will see the easy to find things stop at 67. Good luck.

67 is a strange year too since it was a transitional year. I would buy a 68 or newer.

jacksdodges said:

I wasn't really considering a pre '67 due to parts availability and B/RB compatibility issues...

67 is a strange year too since it was a transitional year....

Can you give me some examples please?

Good luck, There are lots of good cars out there now, especially if you are not worried about buying something from far away and not concerned about having any rare codes or matching numbers.

If you are set on a 10.5" tire, You might want to think more about Barracudas and Duster/Demons because the wheel wells are much bigger.

Not "set" on a 10.5 tire, but that is my self-imposed max...

Definitely not worried about matching numbers, or rare options... I would rather not have anything special just because I know I am going to "butcher" it...

My "ideal" car would have power disc brakes, manual steering, no AC, buckets with a floor shift auto and 8.75 rear... Not concerned with /6 or V8 cause I know with the Schumacher mounts I can drop a B or RB stroker in place fairly easy... Rear isn't a huge deal either 'cause I can always do a Strange 60...

I am hunting for mid 10s on a NA "street" car, then once I get my comp license back I will boost or spray it...

At any rate, I found what appears to be a clean 73 Scamp, but I am not too familiar with them... What can you guys tell me about them other than it is Plymouth's version of the Swinger and they are not too common? Particularly interested in body panel interchangeability (IE can I use Dart panels on it)...

Also located a 71 Demon (Duster from bulkhead back with Dart front clip right?) 70 Duster, several '72 Dusters, and many 73-75 Darts and Dart Sports...

I really like the "flat" front end of the pre-73 stuff...

Dusters/Demon/Dart Sport are usually lighter than the Dart/Scamp

67-69 2 Door post cars are lightest IIRC.

67 has a one year only steering gear assembly, Idler arm. Look for a 68+ car or swap the K frame to a later piece if you find a nice 67.

73+ cars started to pork up on weight.

I have some cars for sale, They are in CA. If you search post started by me in my profile, you'll find a couple, 71 Dart, 73 Dart Sport.

-
Back