A body cruise control?

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
my dad and I have been working on a 1966 charger, and I noticed that there is some interchange between some of the parts, which got us on the topic of cruise control; in the earlier B bodies, it was rare, but in the A bodies it was nonexistent. My dad commented he had never seen one, so I was wondering if anyone on here has a car with cruise? I would like some pictures if you do to see how it fits up.

Check the thread for "Bio Hazard" I believe Dan's Barracuda had it. Do not think it was stock but interesting none the less.

I found what you were talking about, dan was saying that it wasn't stock. I was hoping to find any evidence of a factory setup.

I found what you were talking about, dan was saying that it wasn't stock. I was hoping to find any evidence of a factory setup.

Remember that A-Bodies were the economy class:)

I parted out a '75 Dart SE that had factory cruise. Otherwise i put a few on from Aspens & Lebarons and the stalk just attached like it was meant for the column.

I parted out a '75 Dart SE that had factory cruise. Otherwise i put a few on from Aspens & Lebarons and the stalk just attached like it was meant for the column.

So they did exist! and an F body unit will bolt right on? thats great to know, thanks.

I just researched this and cruise control didn't appear as an option on A bodies until the 1975 Dodge and Plymouth brochures and also in 1976. So that‘s only 2 model years of economy A body's with optional cruise control.

I'm assuming the cruise units themselves are different that late though, so it wouldn't look right on the charger. Thanks for the info guys.

my son's 74 duster had cruise, it was on the car but wasn't working so I took it off, it was a dealer option, not factory, it is a mopar unit that the dealer put on as an option, I will pull it out of the box and snap some pics of it tomorrow. I think I have the sheet that has all the options on it from the dealer, things like the cruise and a hitch and maybe a couple other things that the dealer would put on the car if you wanted it.

I found that the unit for the charger was called autopilot, what were the later units?

They could be had factory starting in 1973 on A bodies. The turn signal housing got larger in 1973.

My sister had a 75 Dart Sport with factory cruise and AC, car was a chrysler exec lease vehicle that my dad bought at the end of the year when the execs got their new cars for 76

Think it had rear window defroster, sure grip, car was loaded. It didn't cost the execs much to lease and then they would sell to employees at the plant. Dad would have some ask what he would like to buy and options he wanted before they ordered their car.

He bought several nice cars cheap in the 70's

I wanted the Docs 1974 ralley challenger with 360 4 barrel in yellow with black top and interior, doc told dad it sucked gas and he wouldn't even think about it for my 1st car

Makes sense that the later models got it because by then, they weren't economy cars anymore. They were bloated over weight pigs.

I ended up putting a a factory cruise control unit on my 68 Dart with a 225. As stated above the earlier A-bodies did not come with cruise control but it will fit. The servos from 68 and above from B's, C's and E's would all work. The biggest difference would be the mounting bracket and the cable lengths. But you can easily figure that out from looking at the later A-bodies that have the same engine configuration as your configuration. From my experience there were two different switch levers. One that you would rotate to operate and one that had two buttons. Both will work, you just need to make sure all the wiring is of the same style. You can easily find factory kits at swap meets or you may find someone who has taken the entire system out of their car. Its really not all that involved to install in an A-body.

I pulled a cruise unit out of a 73 or 74 Dart and still have the cable from the cruise unit to the speedometer. It's probably the same for a B/E Body as well.

I believe all 70's cruise parts interchange, even trucks.

Very early stalk has rotating end cap and collar.

Later style has button on end and slide switch.

Stalk is integral with turn signal, and replaces the signal lever.

Rest of system is the same.

80's changed the stalk and I don't think it will interchange due to the opening in the column and the fact that it's also the dimmer, but again, the rest of the system is the same, and worst case can be operated with any buttons from radio shack.

Interesting note, cruise specific speedometer cables (you need two) are available and cheap.

Hard to find part is the second cable attachment for the carb.

They all have the hole, but the roll pin and bracket is cruise specific. Could be fabbed, but might be a pain.

Still see at least 3 5th Avenues per year in salvage yards which will have everything but the stalk

I actually pulled one from a 78 Cordoba last Tuesday if anyone needs pix
The wiring was a mess but took everything needed for transplanting into another vehicle. Only two issues, 1) wiring had to be cut as it was a severe mess under dash and 2) the lower speedo cable uses one of them plastic housings and gears into the transmission.

-
Back