A Body Engine Mounts

-

scrag

Reaction score
We swapped a 71 K frame from a Dart 318 powered car into a 68 Dart that had a slant 6 in it. Bought a 360 (78 engine) and put it in and from all appearances it looks like it is sitting too low - we have been told this as well. We are getting some header scrapes and the fan is rubbing on the shroud. Are there differences between 318 and 340/360 and what is the work around (I am going to washer the thing some to clear the shroud but am looking for a better fix than that.)

:violent2:

318 &360 engine mounts are a little different on to drivers side where they bolt to the engine. Spacing is a little offset, But they shoudn't cause the engine to sit any lower. If you buy mounts at most auto parts stores for a 360 they give you 318 mounts anyway and you need to use a spacer or washers. Its been a while since I messed with small blocks but thats what I remember. Hope this helps.

I agree with dla4567, I just did it last year putting a 360 in a /6 Dart.

I talked to a guy at a swap meet a while back, had the same problem. He said he used truck mounts to raise the engine. Dont know, never tried it. Just remeber the story.

Yeah it is the Drivers side - I will look into truck mounts - right now I am considering using a spacer/washers to get the engine up enough - might not fix the header problem (they are very old anyway)
Scott

Maybe you need to crank up the torsion bar adjusters on the lower control arm to raise the car up. Could be.

Yes - they are in (if by this we mean the actual rubber mounts)
regarding the Torsion Bars that would improve grand clearance some - but the other issue is the fan is just hitting the shroud - so I we are going to try and move it down slightly....

-
Back