A body hood hinges WTF?!

-
Scamp-
I don't want to make any mods that can be seen. I'm restoring the car so I want it to be correct. Good idea though.

Redfast, thanks for the reminder. That has crossed my mind before.....

Qwkslvr-
The car was disassembled when I bought it so I have no way of knowing.

SmallBlock-
I filled the spring coils with white grease, and put motor oil on all the pivot points. There is no shortage of lube here. The pass side works perfectly straight.

George

My car is doing the same thing. Pass side fine driver side bends over and scraps the outer fender. I just thought it was shot out and needed replaced.

Had the same issue on my Barracuda. I took 2 large pipe wrenches and blocks of wood and acutally bent the part of the hinge that bolts to the hood. by bending the top of the hinge to the center of the car about 1/8" to 3/16" this forced the metal not to flex outward and into the fender.

Hey, thanks for the tip ........... lw67cuda
I'll give it a try. Right now I have nothing to lose except my patience!

George

I have had the same issues with my hood, the push on nuts leave a lot to be desired, excessive play on the shaft. I purchased split shaft collars from Grangers Supply, slide the collar onto the shaft to take out the play and tighten the screws in the collar, no need to thread the post for a nut. Did mine with fender on, hardest part was getting the push nut off the shaft! And like many have said in prior posts make sure the hinge is free to move without binding with proper lubrication.

I have had the same issues with my hood, the push on nuts leave a lot to be desired, excessive play on the shaft. I purchased split shaft collars from Grangers Supply, slide the collar onto the shaft to take out the play and tighten the screws in the collar, no need to thread the post for a nut. Did mine with fender on, hardest part was getting the push nut off the shaft! And like many have said in prior posts make sure the hinge is free to move without binding with proper lubrication.

Now THAT is what we're going to do!
I don't have a die to thread the bosses with. My biggest one falls short by quite a bit. Also I have no idea how to turn the die if I had one as there is no way to get the die stock in that tight area.

I used to work as warehouse manager for a hardware distribution company, so I know exactly what you used!

Thanks a LOT for jogging my pea brain! LOL

George

Excellent idea!

-
Back