A-Body Hurst Comp Plus Reference Pics.

-
THIS is the correct A-BODY, non-console, hurst aftermarket replacement for the inland in '66/'67/early '68. I have mine with all the original paperwork including application, instructions, and ALL part numbers. Husrt did NOT have a removeable handle for '66 and '67. This was true with the GTO as well. This is a Comp+, and has the adjustable stops. The console shifter was a one piece handle as well, and was for '66/'67/early /68.
As far as I know back in the '60s and early '70s when A-body cars were new, Hurst didn't offer an aftermarket replacement for cars that came with a hurst shifter from Chrysler, due to the fact that Hurst sold them.
That's what I have been told, thank you for verifying it.
I changed the ball to an all black one, I just liked it better.

What was the original style ball for these replacement shifters?
When I got the car it had the white one with the clear plastic cover on the black 1-4 and reverse.

The original shift knob is the plain white one. In the pic, the original knob is the yellowish one. Next to it is a newer white Hurst repop. You can see a molding ring around the original that isn't there in the new one...otherwise they are identical.

hurst knob.jpg

Here is a correct A-body specific shifter (circa 1967). And these are the correct A-body specific rods, (circa early '80s). This is the best combination of correct A-body specific parts to replace the Inland I have found. I'd show the console shifter as well, but it is in my car.
The shift rods are nearly idnetical to the ones in cudaspaz post. I use my old '80s rods because the 'mid '60s rods are really thin and wimpy and the later rods are much, much beefier.
Note the bent back reverse lever.
Note the welded in handle.

hurst 66.jpg

That looks identical of my setup. My only question is there is no way the straight rods would work with my crossmember, but then it was a column automatic. What if anything? did they do with a 4 spd. crossmember? different than an auto crossmember?

I remember well.... people took a torch and bent the rods to fit. I've done it several times myself. I took a length of coat hanger, bent that while the shifter mech was mounted and then took it to a bench and bent the shifter rods to match.

Here is a correct A-body specific shifter (circa 1967). And these are the correct A-body specific rods, (circa early '80s). This is the best combination of correct A-body specific parts to replace the Inland I have found. I'd show the console shifter as well, but it is in my car.
The shift rods are nearly idnetical to the ones in cudaspaz post. I use my old '80s rods because the 'mid '60s rods are really thin and wimpy and the later rods are much, much beefier.
Note the bent back reverse lever.
Note the welded in handle.

Is that the correct Hurst aftermarket A body non-console shift stick as well? It looks different to the shifters shown in the original post and also in Matthon's - ie. it hooks back more. Just wondering what is "correct", your's looks more suited to my needs but I guess they are probably no longer produced by Hurst.

Here's a 4-speed pic to kick around.

I believe it's a 73 setup :scratch:

Duster 73 340 032.jpg

Is that the correct Hurst aftermarket A body non-console shift stick as well? It looks different to the shifters shown in the original post and also in Matthon's - ie. it hooks back more. Just wondering what is "correct", your's looks more suited to my needs but I guess they are probably no longer produced by Hurst.

Yes, it is the same stick. It is NOT removeable. Same as Matthons. My guess is that Hurst sold them until about '75 or so. Then Mr. Gasket sold them for a couple years after that.
This is pure speculation, but I am guessing there was little to no market for A-body Hurst Competition plus shifters. After the factory shifters started to pile up in junkyards, Hurst quit making the specific replacement pieces. All factory cars had them except for those 2 1/2 years, and people just got a nice one out of a junkyard for their car when they trashed the inland. Back in the day, I saw A-body cars in junkyards with the sticks still in them rusting away. No demand.

I'll be taking the carpet out of my car tomorrow so I'll take some pics.
It's getting to the point that everytime I do something I need to take pics for future reference- geezzz.

So, anyone have a pic of an original Inland shifter for a bench seat?
How about a part number?

I have yet to see one.

It looks like the bucket seat shifter has more of a bend to it.
Are there 2 or 3 styles?
Bench and bucket, or bench, bucket, and console?

What do these shifters go for?

I've heard they are not that great, but it might be nice to have one as it was original equipment.

Yes, it is the same stick. It is NOT removeable. Same as Matthons. My guess is that Hurst sold them until about '75 or so. Then Mr. Gasket sold them for a couple years after that.
This is pure speculation, but I am guessing there was little to no market for A-body Hurst Competition plus shifters. After the factory shifters started to pile up in junkyards, Hurst quit making the specific replacement pieces. All factory cars had them except for those 2 1/2 years, and people just got a nice one out of a junkyard for their car when they trashed the inland. Back in the day, I saw A-body cars in junkyards with the sticks still in them rusting away. No demand.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

-
Back