A-body Idler Arm Question?

-

Cuda340

Reaction score
Where does the metal washer go on the idler arm assembly? It came within my idler arm kit for my 1969 Barracuda. Does it go on the nut side on the bolt that holds the idler arm in, or does it go on the upper or lower side in between the idler arm and the k-frame bracket. Any help???
Jeff

I just did my '75 Dart and it came with 2 washers, both went inside the bracket, between the K-member surfaces and the ends of the idler arm shaft.

Does your idler have metal caps on the ends of the sleeve, like stock? If so, then then washer probably goes on the OUTSIDE under the nut.

I bought a TRW idler arm kit. It came with 3 felt type washers and a metal washer. The original idler arm I took off looks exactly like the one I bought. There was no metal caps on each end of the sleeve. Even when I took off the old idler arm I had only one metal washer, but I don't remember where it went. It will only fit one washer in between the K-frame bracket and the idler arm ,so I doubt it takes two washers one above the sleeve and one below. If I leave the washer out it has about an 1/8th inch movement up and down. Any suggestions???

Hmm...if you have that kind of play without any washers, I would say install it inside with the idler arm. I guess top or bottom doesn't matter too much, but it will change the height of the arm, so I would say top, to keep the idler arm lower on the K-member.

Miy new one is set up liek this (all inside the k member):
washer - felt seal - arm - felt seal - washer

There is no washer on the nut side of the k-memeber (but there wasn't one on the old arm either). Without either washer I had a bunch of play.

-
Back