A body magnum exhaust solution

-

braveseal

33 years with Mopar!
Reaction score
ok,ya'll might remember this boring subject?...
well, heres what we did,
We cut some 1/16 steel plates to cover the exhaust ports of the headers to act as a adapter or transition plate between the port shape of the head and the wrong shaped headers.

Then using the templates I made of the head ports,traced that port shape on the steel,cut it out,Then using a industrial dremel..smoothed them out.

We then matched up the plates to the header to determine where to grind the headers out.Since the top portion of the head port is a little wider and sort of flairs out in spots.

Then we cut the same port shape onto some Ultra seal exhaust material,and cut them out.
The plates will get a bead of high temp silicone where they meet the head,then of couse the gaskets go between the header and the plate,
neat huh?
when I get it together,I'll let you'all know how it works,but it should be good.
in the first pic,it wasn't totally finished...but close
thanks for listening........braveseal

small plate pic.JPG

small plate pic2.JPG

yeah,thanks guys.
too bad those ttI headers look the way they do.
They really should coat all their headers,at that price!

if you look real close at all their headers...if they weren't
coated,they look even worse..,the welds are crap
the outside fit of the tubes,is poor and thats being kind.
oh well, they'll have to do for now.

let ya know how it sounds!

Nice Job! Ever notice how as your fabrication skills improve you wonder why the heck they didn't do it right in the first place? :thumbup:

yeah,I really wonder what "they" were thinking...or If "they" thinking at all
almost like a larry shepard mistake!
Mopar perf will be hearing from me (not that they care) cause I've kept a detailed record of every little problem with this setup.

What I'd like to know is this,..Why wasn't it mentioned in the ad's for the crate engines,That in fact the magnum's shouldn't be used in a car,being as how there is no exhaust that will fit!
no where in the ad's I've seen did it say "for trucks only"

Now If it were me that was buying a crate engine for an A body...it would be an LA series.
But like I said,it was in the car when I bought it so.........
let you know how it sounds when I start it.
It should make some decent power,...it better after all this BS!

I have never seen high temp silicone stand up at the point in the exhaust system, NEVER, I have seen it cause exhaust leaks many times. Skip the silicone and just use the gasket, you'll be happier in the long run. Sorry to hear you had to go thu so much effort, hope it works the way you anticipate.

I'm with Kraby on this one. I haven't had any luck with it either on exhaust. I have read every tube I can find and the highest temp rated stuff I've seen was around 850-900 degrees. Exhaust temp gets alot hotter than that.

Other than that Braveseal things look real good. Apparently I missed some earlier post that others read. Was the problem with the mating up of TTI headers to magnum heads?

see "magnums and A body exhaust"
the silicone doesn't really play a part,it justs seals the plates to the heads.
The exhaust gasket does the real job.

braveseal said:
What I'd like to know is this,..Why wasn't it mentioned in the ad's for the crate engines,That in fact the magnum's shouldn't be used in a car,being as how there is no exhaust that will fit!
no where in the ad's I've seen did it say "for trucks only"

Now If it were me that was buying a crate engine for an A body...it would be an LA series.
But like I said,it was in the car when I bought it so.........
let you know how it sounds when I start it.
It should make some decent power,...it better after all this BS!

The issue you are having with the funky exhaust port is an aluminum head issue only. The magnum crate engines with iron heads have an exhaust port just like an LA port and headers fit fine.

I do agree though that MP should have made it known that standard sb exhaust won't fit correctly.

-
Back