A body Mopar cars made?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Well guys, I got to thinking, since this is For A Bodies Only, what might we all have for offerings in models for "Mopar" A Body cars? To date, I know of the following:

• 1968 Dodge Dart GTS, from Revell (still being offered)
  • Tom Daniels Plymouth Duster "Cop-Out" a race car, from Revell (Still being offered)

Not much to say the least for A body Mopars from Revell, kinda sad really as we had A LOT of nice Mopar A bodies! A few come to mind here!

Then you have Round 2 Models, they own AMT, MPC, Hawk, Lindberg, Polar Lights.

They have the following under AMT labeling:

• Richard Petty Dodge Dart Sportsman, from Round 2 Models. (still being offered)

THEE ONLY A body from AMT as of recent! AND its a race car, not a street car, TO BAD they didn't make this '70 ? Dart as a street offering as well as a race car!

Then, you have MPC:

• 1975 Dodge Dart Sport, from Round 2 Models, (still being offered)

Thats a lonely car! As its thee only A body they offer under the MPC name!

Then you have Polar Lights:

• Vintage Candies and Hughes Barracuda Funny Car, from Round 2 Models, a race car. (Still being offered)

Again, thats it for A body offering from Round 2 under the Polar Lights name.

Then to follow is Hawk Models, they at Round 2 Model don't offer ANY "cars" under this brand name, only engines!

Then to follow that, comes Lindberg, and they don't offer any A bodies either!

NOW granted, you take this A body list and go on a search you'll find PLENTY of B bodies, and even E bodies as well as different truck types. BUT very little offered for A body Mopars.

NOW, these are only those currently in production, anyone know of others from other companies over the year long gone from production?

Yes, Revell also has (had?) a '69 Dart GTS. They both have big blocks, but the '68 has a vinyl top and the '69 doesn't. Different grilles and stuff too. Revell also did a '68 Hemi Dart superstock car. I think that one is actually still in production.

Don't forget about all the Volare/Road Runners that MPC did several variations of. There were MPC '69 Barracudas too, still easy to find.

How about the currently available AMT '71 Duster 340?

And... Revell 1962 Dodge Dart 4 Door Hardtop. Hard to find and very expensive.

somewhere I got the impression MPC is making the HEMI under glass 66 cuda

its a re-release of the old one. I have one from a garage sale a couple summers ago and I thought it was an original one from wayyyy back but it has a year on it from the mid-2000s and a local hobby shop says its still available.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 759
This is the sad part, the list I made... of both Round 2 models AND Revell, are right off their websites! Now granted if they are still making certain cars, thats not something I'm aware of, BUT I know for a fact most if not all so far thee only A bodies, still in production are those I listed

As for those you guys (and girls) listed, the '69 Cuda from MPC and even AMT-Ertl, are getting more and more difficult to find and attract some pretty good cash. Just like the REAL '66 Cuda Hurst Hemi Under Glass, as it was done both by MPC AND AMT wrong for a while. They added the '69 to the kit when it should have been a '66. This is why, on most kit boxes of the Hurst Hemi Under Glass, doesn't show the front of the car! -Found this outthe hard way, as the real kit with the actual '66 Cuda as the car, is worth more then I'm willing to pay out and I THOUGHT I had the Holy Grail of one, that I picked up at a yard sale for next to nothing UNOPENED, turns out the car inside was a '69 Cuda MPC/AMT collaboration..... Now I'm not sure if thats still in production or not, I haven't seen the re-release on the shelves locally so, (but thats not saying much!)

The '77 Plymouth Volare, and or Roadrunner is a WAY expensive deal! (I know I WAS on the hunt for one till I seen a $200 plus price tag!) I actually did score one to make my Grandfathers last car before he past away, so. I'm happy, BUT I traded a Hurst Hemi Under Glass for it too!

I have 2 of the AMT '71 Duster 340's, these however have not been in production since 1998!!!!! -They are one of the more common models! I got both for the price of one, back in the day (I think I paid something like $12 for the 2 of them!) Come to find, they're common but I wasn't gonna pass up the deal as if I had, I'd be paying $25 plus for each! Which would be my luck!

Revell actually made a '62 Dart? REALLY? (I did not know of that one!) Sure you don't mean Jo-Hans? (Which I know they did a '64 and I think a '60 Dart), but BOTH of those are high dollar stuff! Last I seen one of either it was well of $300.00 a KIT and one wasn't even complete!

I WISHED there were more '50 decade Mopar stuff, but I know, I'm dreamin', even the '58 Plymouth "Christine" is getting more and more difficult to find! At least locally anyway.

I love it guys and girls, a way to collaborate the A body kits for those of us being just a big kid with painted, greasy hands, and love cars! -I'm an addict I love plastic, glue, and paint LOL

watermarkimage.ashx

I know they were made at some point but very rare and expensive ......I am waiting for the day a 73 duster kit pops up and is not a specialty rare one .......like one I could get at wal mart.

Revell actually made a '62 Dart? REALLY? (I did not know of that one!) Sure you don't mean Jo-Hans? (Which I know they did a '64 and I think a '60 Dart), but BOTH of those are high dollar stuff! Last I seen one of either it was well of $300.00 a KIT and one wasn't even complete!

I WISHED there were more '50 decade Mopar stuff, but I know, I'm dreamin', even the '58 Plymouth "Christine" is getting more and more difficult to find! At least locally anyway.

I love it guys and girls, a way to collaborate the A body kits for those of us being just a big kid with painted, greasy hands, and love cars! -I'm an addict I love plastic, glue, and paint LOL

Yes, Revell '62 Dart!
revell-1962-dodge-dart-4-door-hardtop-3.jpg

I know they were made at some point but very rare and expensive ......I am waiting for the day a 73 duster kit pops up and is not a specialty rare one .......like one I could get at wal mart.

Rani,
You need to let 'em know this! You know when you by a model kit and they have the little questionnaire in the box? Fill it out, and send it in! (I have SEVERAL times and on each one I've done requested the '82 Dodge Ram Van), and its NOW in stores for 2015!!!!! I haven't yet seen one, BUT, when I do, locally, I WILL be buying one! MAYBE 2 if I can get away with it!

I have that 62 Dart (note that it's a B body).

IIRC it was available as 2D, 4D or convertible.
Mine is a 4D. The doors do not open, but the torsion bars work.

I also have a 62 Lancer 2D and a 63 Valiant 4D!

I believe there was a 68 Barracuda (although the tooling may have been irreversibly changed to make the 69 model (that happens sometimes).

...and finally, I have an MPC 1974 Duster. This was offered in both kit and as a "promo".

If anyone has a hood for this model....I've been looking since 1987!

I have that 62 Dart (note that it's a B body).

IIRC it was available as 2D, 4D or convertible.
Mine is a 4D. The doors do not open, but the torsion bars work.

I also have a 62 Lancer 2D and a 63 Valiant 4D!

I believe there was a 68 Barracuda (although the tooling may have been irreversibly changed to make the 69 model (that happens sometimes).

...and finally, I have an MPC 1974 Duster. This was offered in both kit and as a "promo".

If anyone has a hood for this model....I've been looking since 1987!

DAMN, NICE old Model collection man!

Some I wished...... They're WAAAAY more $$$$$$ then I have to spare for a model kit!

As for the hood you need, you looking for a "fitting" hood as a replacement OR a true factory one? (I might be able to cough one up), if your merely looking for a replacement NOT a factory old kit hood, to keep it a "collectible" and just want to build the kit, complete.

I found the Duster in an acquaintance' garage when a friend and I went to look at his 67 chevelle.

It was laying on the floor under a cardboard box. I can't believe it hadn't been stepped on.

It was built up but missing the engine, hood and front bumper.

Several years later I acquired a real 73 Duster that was painted plum crazy, so I repainted my model to match.
I did fabricate a temporary hood out of sheet styrene, and an "A body" snorkel scoop out of the 64 Polara super stock scoop.
Not perfect, but better than nothing.

I had a totaled Dart Sport "Smokey" model, and used the bumper from that. Again, not perfect, but better than none.

If you have a resin hood, or something like that, that would be SUPER :):):)

I almost forgot, it was also missing the front wheels.
It took me almost a decade to locate another pair of Motor Wheel "Spyders"!
I also fell in love with those wheels, and it took me nearly 30 years to find a real set!

Attachments

• IMG_20130714_105407.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 612
Sorry, that's the scoop from the MPC 66/67 Charger model, not the Lindberg 64 Polara.

I used the 64 Polara scoop to make an N96 hood fro the Revell 69 Super Bee.

I built that Bee for the guy I bought the real 73 Duster from.

Got paid to do it with the "six pack delete" mods.

Painted the gauge needles and white letters on the tires.

Came out GREAT. He offered me double the price we agreed on!

Don't have time or patience for that anymore, although I do plan to build a replica of my 73 Satellite, and maybe one of my former 70 Super Bee, as I drove it, with primer, rust and a peeling vinyl top.

Back about 1992, I also built a replica of my female friend's 69 firebird, in that "lovely" gm green with green interior (custom mixed), compete with the custom front license plate she had and her favorite CD (The Cult- Love) laying on the passenger seat.

NICE work then YY1!!!!!

I'll see what I can conjure up for a true hood, (I know or think) its not a stock kit hood, but should fit the car, I just recall seeing a spare sort of hood to a '75 or so in a box lot I picked up over the summer that I do not have a model kit to use it on but was take all or nothing sale and for what I paid, I got A LOT of Mopar engine parts in the "lot".... So, I couldn't pass it up!

I'll send ya a PM on it if its the hood you need!

Wow, I grew up not 10 miles from there!

Back when I was a kid I thought about opening a shop like that.

I hope they succeed!

Hmm, the other one's in OH as well.

Whoda' thought Ohio would be the hot spot for 1/25th scale.

I have a couple of MPC 72 Dusters,an MPC 75 Duster (no,not the AMT 75 Dart marked as a Duster),The Smokey Convoy Chaser 75 Dart Police Car.And 2 MPC 74 Dusters.
MPC also made a Demon.But they are rare and hard to find but they make 340 Demon resin kits that use the AMT 71 340 Duster Chassis and parts but they need some modifying to work.
I'll post pics of the MPC 72 Dusters and the 75 Duster.They are buried somewhere.lol

-I'd nearly kill to get my hands on a MPC '71 Demon!!!! I have 2 of the AMT '71 Duster kits to make ONE into a Demon! :D

-
Back