A-Body New Guy

-

Izzonyg

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1970 Duster restoration project and the first thing I did was sign up for A-Bodies only.com. I will be sure to post new question threads ofter as I'm sure I will have many.

One initial question I have is: When rebuilding my motor should I replace the stock intake with an after market? Or do I work to keep the motor as original as possible...same goes for the Carb?

Welcome to FABO. What kind of restoration are you doing?

Thank you for the quick response. I'm planning a full frame off resto. I would like to get the car back to as original as possible while doing some hp boosting enhancements. The car is a 340 H code.

You mention 2 different philosophies...original and not original.

Personally I would go by how much original stuff you have for the car at this time.

If you need to swap on (meaning BUY) a lot of original items (air cleaner, carb, seats, whatever)...then it probably would be more economical to go lightly modified.

If you have a bone stock car (90%...95%...100%)...then i would keep it all stock.

Paul

...I would like to get the car back to as original as possible...while doing some hp boosting enhancements...

Welcome to the show.

Ask yourself some questions - what do YOU want to do with the car? Do you want it to go faster than stock? Do you want a choppy idle/nasty sound? Do you want to have a car that you can brag about being all original/factory? Or would you be happier with performance upgrades and different colors and interiors? Once you make your decisions, we'll be more than happy to help. But it's ultimately your car, you do to it what you want to.

Unless you're married. Then do what the wife says. It's just easier.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm planning a full frame off resto. I would like to get the car back to as original as possible while doing some hp boosting enhancements. The car is a 340 H code.

welcome to the site ! just to get you started on the right foot, mopars are uni-bodies and do not have full-frames. they are known as "rotisserie restorations" in the mopar world opposed to frame-off in the brand x world. if you have a 98% complete car , i would stick with a conventional restoration, or, there are plenty of internal engine mods you can do and keep the original appearance of the engine and the car. its all in how deep your pockets are and your intended use for the car. if you are going to drive it and enjoy it, build it how you want to, if you are doing a serious original resto and just plan on showing it, do it 100% back to original...my $0.02

Really appreciate all the quick responses. While I am married this car will be done the way I want it. hehe. I don't want a real nasty street / race machine...I'm leaning to go mostly stock with some minor engine enhancements. Maybe a new 750 Holley, a new intake, and a beefy Cam. Any advice on intakes or Cam upgrades?

Really appreciate all the quick responses. While I am married this car will be done the way I want it. hehe. I don't want a real nasty street / race machine...I'm leaning to go mostly stock with some minor engine enhancements. Maybe a new 750 Holley, a new intake, and a beefy Cam. Any advice on intakes or Cam upgrades?
there are a ton of threads on uprades of all shapes, sizes and budgets for every chrysler engine here. you can use the search function in the small block tech forum and get great build and tech info. it all comes down to what exactly you are looking for in performance and street/race reliability.

Welcome to the site, you've got one of my favorites:D. When you get settled in, would love to see some pictures.

Welcome aboard. Nice looking Duster, so you're off to a good start. Here's a great book I recommend to all A body owners that can help get you off to a good start. It gives a lot of pros and cons and can also help with decisions on upgrades for your car.
Chrysler performance Upgrades (S-a Design) [Paperback]
By Frank Adkins
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Performance-Upgrades-S--Design/dp/1884089402/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303829730&sr=1-3"]Chrysler Performance Upgrades (S-A Design): Frank Adkins: 9781884089404: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Keep the pictures coming as you move through your restoration.

Cheers,

The stock 340 intake is a very good piece and wont hold you back in performance . Welcome

-
Back