A body remote mirror question

-

tom340

Reaction score
Confused..:dontknow: My 70 Duster has a drivers side remote mirror. The guy I purchased it from HAD a mirror (looked new) on it that was even hooked up to adjust from inside. "Course a week later when we picked the car up to transport a few minor things changed. Anyhow, he's gonna make good on this for me and send me another NEW remote mirror.
Apparently the mirror he had put on it was for a B body with a vent window.(the mirrors do look the same) It wasnt an "emergency" so I let this slide until I had more time after the big stuff was done for Carlisle. The cable remote was only @ 7 inches long, so ya cannot hook it up unless ya have a vent window. 70 Dusters dont..
Has anyone purchased a repop remote with the cable long enough to hook up to the factory hole provided? My car is pictured in the members photo gallery-you can see the style mirror Im talking about.

I havent used one. I can pull the one from my car and measure it if you would like. My car has a vent window how ever.

Ughh, yep you'll have the short cable. Next saturday I'll have a question for ya....having a helluva time connecting the heater/defrost cables to the in dash control levers. Were all connected to the heater box OK. Radio is out, and the heater hoses are left off for room. In need of 'expertise'

Hi Larry. Thanks, appreciate the offer. The guy I purchased the car from over the winter is making good on his 'not so good' and sending me a brand new mirror. His "bawdy shawp guwys" pulled a bait & switch and yanked the brandy new one from the car.
My only concearn is if the repops have the long enuff cable for non-vent window cars (A body) .

On my '70 Duster the cable housings measure about 26" from mirror glass to remote control.

On my '70 Duster the cable housings measure about 26" from mirror glass to remote control.
I was just check out your website/project big block Duster. Seriously awesome that you would document this for others. I have questions regarding your grille resto. I was considering an NOS grille for mine, basically just to get all new trim . My grille itself is in excellent cond. After seeing what you did with yours I may just try and restore it using your methods. Just a few questions, after you removed the anodizing from the brite parts (bezels, trim peices) in a drano bath, what did you use to sand with??? And after sanding, what method did you use to polish?? I have virtually no pitting, the dings are also minor.
All I would need to do is order NOS clear lens and new bezels for the lens and the grille would look close to new. Thanks, TOM

Tom, sorry, the measurement I gave you for the mirror control cable is for a stock mirror - not a repop. I plan on getting repop sport mirrors for mine.

If your grille trim doesn't have pits and dings, then you're miles ahead of game. The dings aren't hard to fix. You can tap them out with a punch from the back side then use a file to level on the front. I had a lot of pitting which was impossible to remove completely.

After sanding with progressively finer grits then I went to a buffing wheel with compound (tripoli and stainless compounds) to bring the shine back. You just have to take it slow and careful. If it gets away from you you'll fold the trim into a pretzel. They'll actually polish to a brighter shine than anodized.

I got one NOS lens off of Ebay and another from a vintage parts dealer. My bezels cleaned up really well.

During the sanding process, what grit did you start with? And what did you end with? My brother is a professional auto body & painter, he wheeled all the other trim on the car for me and it literally looks new. The cleaning/sanding process was the mystery..
Also regarding the smaller brite trim inserts on the grille (the fragile skinny ones) is that same material as the headlight bezels? Did you restore them in a similar fashion??

I don't recall exactly how course a grit started with. It really depended on how much "damage" I needed to remove initially. I think 400 wet would have been the minimum but I'm sure I used coarser in some areas. I probably ended with something like 1200 but you can usually stop at 600 wet before going to the wheel. (Here's a good link on buffing that talks about sanding: http://caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm)

Everything on the grille is aluminum except for those tiny strips you mentioned. I believe they're stainless. I didn't do as much with those because I was afraid to damage them - steel wool and a careful buff with stainless compound. Consequently they didn't buff up as bright as the aluminum. You really, really gotta be careful with those because they're so delicate. One of the little mounting tabs that are spot welded to the trim snapped off when I went to put it back on - they're just bent around the grille to hold them on. Had to weld it back on.

New mirror finally arrived TODAY..just measured the cable housing, its @ 22" from remote to where its attached to mirror. Its definitely longer than what was on there, but still need to remove the door panel and try it.

-
Back