A Body Sway Bars

-

08fxdse2

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a front sway bar for a 1970 Dodge Dart with aftermarket QA1 lower control arms installed? I went with PST and ordered their sway bar and found out it's too long and won't connect to my QA1 control arms. When I called PST customer service they said the only way it will fit is if I go with their K frame at $600+ cost.
Any suggestions for me?
Thanks

Good luck, I have the QA1 lower control arms, called them and they told me that their K member and sway bar are the only ones that would work. They felt that the stock location tabs were not worth having two types of lower control arms. I have the Firm Feel front sway bars and they are in the stock location for the tabs.
Good Luck, let us know.

Good luck, I have the QA1 lower control arms, called them and they told me that their K member and sway bar are the only ones that would work. They felt that the stock location tabs were not worth having two types of lower control arms. I have the Firm Feel front sway bars and they are in the stock location for the tabs.
Good Luck, let us know.
so I would need to get the Firm Feel sway bar for my QA1 control arms?

NO
I have the Firm Feel sway bar, trying to use it with QA1 lower control arms, It does not work.
I am still looking for a bar that would work.

Qa1 has a swaybar, part number 52861 on the level 2 kit.

Wont that work?

67-72-mopar-abody-handling.JPG

The sway bar tabs on the QA1 tubular LCA’s use the later 73+ tab location.

I have the QA1 LCA’s on my Duster using a 73+ stock K member and a Hellwig sway bar, works fine.

If I’m not mistaken the Hotchkis sway bar for the 67-72 cars will work with the QA1 tubular LCA’s. It may also work with the Hellwig 55917 “pro touring” front bar for those cars as well. Neither of those bars use the stock 67-72 sway bar LCA tab location for tire clearance.

The QA1 sway bar I think only works with the QA1 tubular K member because it mounts differently than either of the stock k member configurations.

Came with my Alterkation.

That's part of why I bought it!

Came with my Alterkation.

That's part of why I bought it!

For $5k it had better come with it. You can build a torsion bar suspension that will handle just as well for thousands less.

There are plenty of options, you just have to do your homework before you start ordering parts. And in this case QA1 themselves aren’t being particularly helpful, because there are options other than their sway bar with their K-member. Even considering the mismatch of the 67-72 k frame with the 73+ sway bar tab locations. It may take some measureming and some fiddling, but it’s by no means insurmountable.

That is interesting, that the 73+ sway bar will work. I doing like 89on35s said, having a weld shop I use, putting new tabs on the QA1's.
I will have to call Firm Feel to see what they have in the way of sway bars, I am using theirs now, for the stock 69 K member. It maybe cheaper to just use the 73 bar instead of welding new one on and painting.

The bar the we supplied is designed for a stock k member. The only aftermarket k member that we offer is the HDK package which uses a completely different design. The bar that we supply would work up to 72 so if the Qa1 arms are based off the 73-76 arm you may be able to use a later bar. The bar that we had supplied had an eye to eye measurement of 45" now the 1973-76 uses and eye to eye measurement of 37 1/4". Hope this info helps you in solving your issue.

Thanks
James

The bar the we supplied is designed for a stock k member. The only aftermarket k member that we offer is the HDK package which uses a completely different design. The bar that we supply would work up to 72 so if the Qa1 arms are based off the 73-76 arm you may be able to use a later bar. The bar that we had supplied had an eye to eye measurement of 45" now the 1973-76 uses and eye to eye measurement of 37 1/4". Hope this info helps you in solving your issue.

Thanks
James
Thanks James the bar I have is definitely too long. I will pack that up and ship it back to you. I’ll measure the distance from eye to eye on my QA1 and if it’s closer to the 37 1/4 I’ll order the 73-76
Thanks for your response!

I measured mine, it is 40.5". I could be off maybe 1/2" at most. This was eye to eye. I am going to call Firm Feel to see what they have.

I don't think the 73+ sway bars will work with the 67-72 K member.

The hotchkis and hellwig 55917 are not sway bars designed for the 73+ K member, they're designed to work with the 67-72 K member. But they don't use the stock 67-72 sway bar tab location because it interferes with running wider tires up front, both of them use "custom" tab locations.

However, from the mounting instructions from both of those bars the "custom" tab locations are very close to the same as the 73-76 sway bar tab locations.

So, what I was saying wasn't that you should order a 73-76 sway bar, what I was saying is that you should get a Hotchkis sway bar for a 67-72 car, or the Hellwig 55917 for a 67-72 car, because those will work with a 67-72 K but will also be adaptable to the 73-76 sway bar tab locations that the QA1 LCA's have.

The issue here is the mismatch of the sway bar mounting style on the 67-72 K member and the 73+ LCA sway bar tab locations.

-
Back