A body tailshaft

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Will the tailshaft and housing from an overdrive 833 work on a 68 b body 833? what other parts are interchangable?

I have 2 different 4 speeds. One is an overdrive unit for an a body. The other is a b body 4 speed. I want to put a 4 speed in my duster behind a 440. I dont want to use the overdrive because it wont hold up to the 440. But the b body 4 speed wont work without a tailshaft for an a body.

You need to check to see what the output spline is on the OD. They came small and large. With a 440 I'd use the large output spline. You basically need the short Mainshaft and short tailhousing. The earlier transmissions should be stronger, so use as many parts as you can from that one. You also need to check the front pinion bearing. It is a 307 or 308 bearing. What pilot diameter do you have in your bellhousing? You may have the right tailshaft housing but you need to check it. The Mainshaft is different from the standard trans and the OD, so you will need to get that.

Main case and GEARS will allow a new extention housing and shaft to be swaped. The key is you must get a NON overdrive mainshaft to use with a housing. Bearings are not the problem, you can use either 308 or 307 bearing front/rear. The early gears cant be used on the OD shaft.
Or just start with a real A 833 trans.
Which I happen to have, rebuilt even, for the large yoke.

Main case and GEARS will allow a new extention housing and shaft to be swaped. The key is you must get a NON overdrive mainshaft to use with a housing. Bearings are not the problem, you can use either 308 or 307 bearing front/rear. The early gears cant be used on the OD shaft.
Or just start with a real A 833 trans.
Which I happen to have, rebuilt even, for the large yoke.

Front bearings can make a difference. If you have an OEM bellhousing that only takes the small bearing retainer. Then you need a main housing for a 307 Bearing.

yeah some were 307, like sb stuff and some were 308 like bb stuff.
Aren't all the output bearings 308's?

and yeah, he'll need a shorter tail housing, or just use the b body 833 like I did and mount a bracket from the rear boss to the correct location just behind the cross member.

even b body 833's?

Yea, but probably not past 1968. I have one I bought for the main housing to swap an OD gearset into. That way I can swap an OD into my 66 without changing bellhousings for highway cruising. It has the slip yoke so must be 65 up? Just looked at Original bellhousings at the Brewers Performance website, Looks like all big block and even Hemi bellhousings till 1967 used the small bearing retainer. I guess you learn something new every day.

I have 2 different 4 speeds. One is an overdrive unit for an a body. The other is a b body 4 speed. I want to put a 4 speed in my duster behind a 440. I dont want to use the overdrive because it wont hold up to the 440. But the b body 4 speed wont work without a tailshaft for an a body.

Unless you are planning a 440 that is much stouter than stock and will be beating on it the A833OD will hold just fine. Lots of 440 cars running around with A833ODs.

The other option is if the B body A833 has both shifter mounting pads it can be used as is in an A body, I have a long tail shaft A833OD in my 68 Barracuda. You will need to fabricate an adapter plate to position the shifter forward off the rear mount (bigblockdart.com has a dimensioned drawing) and the drive shaft will need to be shorted (cost me $75 at the local drive shaft shop), otherwise it bolts in the same.

Yea, but probably not past 1968. I have one I bought for the main housing to swap an OD gearset into. That way I can swap an OD into my 66 without changing bellhousings for highway cruising. It has the slip yoke so must be 65 up? Just looked at Original bellhousings at the Brewers Performance website, Looks like all big block and even Hemi bellhousings till 1967 used the small bearing retainer. I guess you learn something new every day.

I sure did, thanks.

-
Back