a body value

-

70dusta

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wondering if you guysthink the value for the pr 74 2 door a body will ever be as high all the other mopars out there or even close just a thought that came up while i was in the garage

One thing is for sure....they aren't building any more! :( I don't think that A-bodies will ever be "big money" say 20k plus. That is unless it is a 70-71 340 car or a pre 70 factory big block car. I could be wrong. But I also think in the next 15 years the price of these cars could come back down. A good number of these cars belong to people that will be looking to retire in the next 10-15-20 years. Therefore more cars on the market and fewer buyers (as most of the next gen is the ricer crowd) , might mean lower prices! But it is all a guess, nobody knows for sure. If they did they would be very wealthy and have some nice toys to play with!!

Absolutely not. When you say all the other Mopars out there, you cannot compare them to hemi e-bodies, wing cars, etc.

Like anything the market goes up and down. With shows like BJ inflating peoples ideas of what cars are worth (especially being on the telly they reach a broader audience of brainwashees) and the insane money floating around in some segments of the country, the prices I believe (my opinions follow and you know what they say about opinions......) that the market is going to change and slump. Has been running on an inflated balloon for a while. Already seeing it in classic Minis. Seems like a 1275, disc brake car in decent shape non reshell had run up to the $10,000 to say $13,000 range. Now I'm seeing them back in the around $7,000-9,000 range.

I don't think that the general A body cars will ever be in the HEMI car range or in the low production number range (the afore mentioned winged cars), but I do think that they will gain in value. I think that as other desirable cars reach the levels of unobtainium it sparks interest in lesser priced cars. As with all supply and demand, this drives the prices up. Saw it with the Chevy II cars. Everyone seemed to want a '66-'67 because of the styling. Prices on the earlier years were quite low. When the pricing on the '66-'67 went way up many people who liked the cars could no longer afford them so they looked to the less popular early cars in order to get into the market. This then drove the prices up on these cars as interest gained on them. Same thing happens with model lines. Charger, Cuda, Challenger etc. lines getting too expensive to get into a decent car, the A body starts to look more attractive to potential buyers as can get a nice classic car, good runner for not as much investment. Combine that with the number getting parted or used for parts on building another car, number crushed, damaged and junked even the higher production number cars will dwindle down and supply and demand will drive the prices up.

I agree with the above in that probably the most gain is going to be on genuine 340 cars, factory big blocks etc. with originality the key to value. Next on the totem pole would be probably 318 cars with V8 swap cars in this area and sorry to say the /6 cars on the lower end. Four doors probably bottom of the heap as with most lines.

Here endeth the opinions.

As for us, we bought a Dart as we always liked them. Wife's father had many when she was growing up and I believe one of her first cars was a Swinger. In school I had camaros, firebirds and mustangs, but always liked my best friends 340 Dart. Bright orange, stick with shag carpet in........ah those were the days......... He and I almost teamed together and bought an all white as I remember convertible 383 Dart GT for $500, but ended up not. Would like to have that car now. Anyway, what attracted us apart from always liking the cars was that we could still purchase a decent one for not too much money. Granted, we bought a /6 car and may change it to a 318, but right now, apart from working on it to get it where we want it, we are driving and enjoying the car. That is what makes all the difference in owning one to us.

Cheers

I'm optimistic that my 68 Barracuda 340 Formula S factory A/C car will keep appreciating. Even though the original motor & tranny was lost long ago before I got the car, I'm still thinking of some day trying to find a numbers correct 340 block and drop into it and keep my '70 block around as a spare. I haven't been a stickler for originality so far, I painted it a '95 Chrysler color instead of the original maroon. It's still maroon just with a little mica/pearl in it. I'll have to post some pictures of it someday soon. I should have it back on the road sometime in August after a 24 year vacation from DMV registration. NADA classic car says it's worth about $22,600-$43,400 going from average retail to high retail respectively. It all boils down to one thing, something is only worth as much as you can find somebody that is willing to buy it from you for.

I beleive the A-bodies that are a step up on the standard item will bring some decent money in the future. 340s, 4spds, sportier low production models should fare well. I do also beleive that all the A-bodies in general will continue to rise in prices. JMO, Mike

all a bodies are riseing. i have seen about a 2-5 thousand dollar jump on some models in the last 3 years. i think these cars are starting to get some appreciation that they deserve. no they are not e body bound but on the rise none the less. if you don't think 73-76 models aren't going anywhere then you are missing the boat. sure they are riseing slower and may never be what a 70-72 will be, but they are riseing. time will tell here:clock:

I agree with MoparBrit. I bought a Swinger because I wanted a Mopar & couldn't afford the Cuda or Charger or higher up. I think A bodies may be the second wave going up in value.

-
Back