A/C blower motor problem

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I took the 69 Valiant down to get the a/c charged again yesterday. Had it charged last year and when I uncovered it this year the a/c didn't work. I figured it had a leak. The mechanic charged it and put dye in it and told me he didn't see any leak. Told me to check it if it gets warmed and look for the dye. It was blowing at 40*. On the way home I noticed the air wasn't blowing as hard as I thought it should. When I got home I played with the switch some and noticed that it didn't matter which position you put it on, it blowed at the same speed. I even turned it all the way to the left and it still blowed the same. I had to push the button to get the blower to stop. Now I haven't messed with this or had a chance to get into it yet, but I am thinking it is a switch problem. The switch has 2 positions on it. I plan on getting it in the garage when this Nissan goes home and look at it. I don't know if a wire is crossed or whether the switch is bad. What does it sound like to you. Thanks,Bill

There is a resistor in the top of the heater box which controls the speed. Mine went and I had the same problem.

A bad resistor will not cause this. This sounds like a switch problem. The AC switches are known for "busting up" internally for lack of a better word.

A bad resistor will not cause this. This sounds like a switch problem. The AC switches are known for "busting up" internally for lack of a better word.

That's what I was thinking because it stays the same speed no matter where you set it. I have not had a chance to get it in and play with it yet. Thanks

You will probably find the high speed contacts fried. I was able to rebuild the switch in my 73 with guts from a mid 80s pickup switch. I also wired high and medium speed with relays to prevent future problems. IIRC high speed pulled around 10 amps.

-
Back