A/C evaporator conversion from old to new Freon

-

RandyB

Reaction score
I’m hopeful for some answers. I have an old mark 4 evaporator that I would like to install under dash and install a new system under the hood. Is there a way that I could do this? New system is new Freon of course but the mark 4 ran on the old style Freon. Is this feasible even or just stick the a complete new system

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

Install it. R134a will work in that unit. Won't cool as well as R12.
After talking to a local old timer shop here, he led me in the right direction suck as flushing it out and run it!! Thanks!

Having serviced a few A/Cs. I have to warn you to do a pressure test on it first. If the evaporator coil holds 135-165psi without leaks then replace the expansion valve and flush it out. (Remove valve and flush then install expansion valve) I pressure test with dry nitrogen.
The expansion valve and evaporator coil is where the pieces hide that destroy A/C compressors.
So also with the right expansion valve and a larger than original condenser you can get the same cooling from it as R12. (Those units didn’t cool to well anyway)
Also need to warn you. If your car was set up without A/C you will make engine cooling harder.

-
Back