a/c heat box removal on 74

-

74fldart

Reaction score
i have a 74 dart i want to remove the whole a/c heater box. i see the studs and nuts sticking out of the firewall , they will be easy to get to since i have the engine out but is there anything under the dash that might be hard to get to or any hidden bolts? thanks

There are 5 nuts on the firewall under the hood, inside the car there is a brace that bolts to the ac/heater box behind the glove box. There are two nuts that hold the controls to the dash that are a pain to get to, or disconnect the cables and vacuum lines from the box just make note of where they go before disconnecting or take pictures. Be carefull it weighs about 30 pounds. Good luck.

Daliant, does your post work for the '65 dart as well. i have the fire wall nuts off and the brace behind the glove box off. but it is still hanging up. some one said something about a "j" bolt in the air intake area???? still haven't located what he is talking about yet? any ideas

The J bolt is in the passenger side vent, open the door and reach in side. Feel around and you'll find it.

The J bolt hooks the AC box to the bottom of the cowl, should have a 7/16 nut on it. Its up inside the pass side fresh air vent.

There are 5 nuts on the firewall under the hood, inside the car there is a brace that bolts to the ac/heater box behind the glove box. There are two nuts that hold the controls to the dash that are a pain to get to, or disconnect the cables and vacuum lines from the box just make note of where they go before disconnecting or take pictures. Be carefull it weighs about 30 pounds. Good luck.
There is one more bolt that joins the two...remove heater box first and it will be easier...on mine there is a hook inside the fresh air intake on the passenger side which hooks it to the cowl up top. I did remove the two cables and pulled the vacuum lines off....they each have a color trace line on them...like before mentioned write them down and draw a picture if need be..8)

There is one more bolt that joins the two...remove heater box first and it will be easier...on mine there is a hook inside the fresh air intake on the passenger side which hooks it to the cowl up top. I did remove the two cables and pulled the vacuum lines off....they each have a color trace line on them...like before mentioned write them down and draw a picture if need be..8)

thanks, it's been over 110's lately so being inside my car is not on my to do list. BUT i saved this psot and will make sure to use it when i remove the heater/ac box. thanks guys for clearing up the j-bolt issue!!!

-
Back