A/C question...

-

T-REX

Reaction score
Now I no ya'll gunna say A/C ain't a performance update, but when ya old like me, it iz when ya live down south...

I'm transfer'in tha A/C from a 71 dart, to my 66 dart wagon...I want to paint tha main body so I kan insatll tha engine compartment stuff, and the front end and rearend...It's on tha rotisery now, and it will be easier to paint now...BUT I don't wanna run into any unexpected crap and have to cut my freshly painted fire wall, or dash...REX

T, I used to think that A/C, auto trans, and bench seats were not cool. We get older and change our minds.
About the best thing to do is test fit first. I think the A/C blower motor is bigger than non A/C. Our son's '72 firewall is different than our '74 A/C. Don't know how '72 compares to '66. Check some of the pics in the gallery and see how they differ. I guess all you need to do now is bang a gong and get it on. :D Good luck T-REX. Ray

I never thought about tha differnce in tha size ov tha motors, juss glance'in at tha holes, they are close, I juss figgered they were tha same...I have to finish remove'in tha a/c from tha 71(under dash)...I am going to try to make everthang under dash on tha 71 fit tha 66 dash!!!...I'm not into the Numberz thang, I am a mopar freek, but I want it to suit my needz, and still be 100% MOPAR!!...I have been told I wuz crazy for put'in a Caravan steer'in colum in it(tilt wheel)...I want tha key on tha column, not tha dash...Thankz for your input, it may have saved me quite a bit ov trouble...REX :scratch:

Let me know what you find out on the swap I plan on adding A/C to my 66 Cuda too. In Florida you just have to Have A/C. :thumrigh:

Ok, I can tell you the firewall is different for sure as I have already done this change. Unlike the E-bodies this is a very simple switch. All you need to do is take a template of your a/c fireway and transfere it to you non-a/c and make the cuts. I think we had to drill a few extra holes for the heater box too.

So make the blower motor hole a bit bigger, drill an extra hole or two for the heater box studs and you're pretty much set.

The E-body on the other hand has the blower motor section stamped differently and has a quarter inch raised flange all the way round. It still can be done but is much harder to make look like factory.

Good luck....

-
Back