A/C retrofit ?

-

BWDart

Reaction score
What all needs to be changed to retrofit from r-12 to 134?
93 Dodge ram van 250, conversion van, dual air units.
Thanks
Bruce

All of the R12 must be removed. I actually converted a '92 Maxipad with dual ac/heat. I have done about 10 conversions all work fine.

My Wallyworld sells a retro fit kit but you will also need extra cans for your conversion.

You will only need to fill it to 85% full with 134A. Just find out how much your system takes of R12. If your system takes 28oz of R12 it will only take 23.8oz of 134A to be full.

Chuck

If the system still has pressure in it or you know the system hasn't been open to air very long then you will not need to replace the dryer. The dryer does just that it removes trace moisture in the system. If the dryer is exposed to air very long it "soaks" up moisture out of the air.

Althought dyers aren't very expensive and it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Chuck

I called around NAPA has a kit for $48 I'm going to replace the dryer also as they are cheap. Thanks for your help Chuck

Hello. Your best bet is to go with a compatable freon where you don't need to change out anything. This wasn't available a few years ago so the only way was to change to R134A or put in some R12. I spent way to much keeping my vehicle to R12 and it was way more to have it converted to R134A, changing the compressor, condensor, dryer or receiver, etc. It cost more to convert to R134a than the vehicle was worth and it leaked out all the R12 in 2 weeks, so at $50 or more a can it was not cheap. I ended up getting some tips on a site to understand it all and get it done cheap and easy, www.cammhsm.com. It works better than I ever expected. I am impressed and cool now. First mistake was to have it gone thru at the Ford dealer, a 1990 Aerostar Van and it cost me $1000 overall for them to do the R12 thing. They really ripped me, but I trusted them, never again. From the instructions I got it cost me about $100 to convert to the new stuff and it only takes about a 12 oz can a year to re-fill the system. I don't think you can ever keep the system from leaking some. I am happy as can be and my wife is even impressed. This old van is pretty darn good again.

-
Back