a/c to no a/c heater box

-

dart gt

Reaction score
Hello everyone.Im wanting to put a rallye dash in my 71 swinger but was told I cant put a non ac heater box in place of my a/c box because the heater motor is in the wrong place.I want to get rid of the A/C all together.My ralley cluster is not an a/c cluster.Is this true,and if it is what can I do to modify it to put a regular heater box in without cutting my firewall because I just had the car painted.I don't want to go back to the stock dash if I don't have to.Thanks

No you can install a plain heater box in place of the A/C box. I did this swap in my 71 Scamp. There is however a issue, the A/C blower motor is larger than just the heater blower motor. You will need the trim ring for the plain heater box. It is round and it is almost as large as the opening for the A/C motor opening.

I also had to make a plate to mount on the inside of the car between the heater box and the fire wall. That went over the studs of the blower motor. This was to fill the large opening and give the box some support, and something to pinch the box when you tightened it down. I then pulled up as far as I could on the heater box and tightened the trim ring on the engine side of the fire wall. This held it in place very well, It has not moved at all.

As for the holes where the A/C lines when thru and the holes from the bolts for the A/C box. I ended up getting some body plugs that fit those holes and pushed them in. Worked very well.

Of course to do this properly you would get a section of firewall from a donor car that only had a heater box and weld that in place of the opening for the A/C. I did the same thing as you and decided after I painted my car that I wanted to get rid of the A/C.

I guess this way if I ever wanted to add it back in all the holes are there.

The only pics I can get are from the firewall side. I'll snap some and show you what Im talking about as much as I can.

Sorry, there is not a lot to show you. The first pic you can see the trim ring that goes around the blower motor and the foam seal. Also notice the gap that is just above that trim ring. That is the hole from the original A/C motor. I couldnt get the motor any higher to hide that. The second pic are the plugs that I mentioned you can buy (hardware store) to fill the holes from the original A/C lines. Wish I had more pics to show you but sorry I dont.

View attachment IMG_20150108_165713096.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150108_165723132.jpg

-
Back