A chick....

-
Back in the mid-'70s, when homeless people begging seemed to be much less common, my ex-wife and I were in Santa Barbara, CA, for a get-away long weekend. We were young, both working and had some extra cash. We had just come out of one of our favorite restaurants and old scruffy guy asked me if I had anything I could spare. I just walked right past him like he wasn't even there. I got about 10 feet past him and I heard him say, "But, I'm hungry."
I took a couple more steps, stopped and turned around just in time to see him heading to a dumpster to see if he could find anything to eat. I turned around and gave him a few bucks.
Back then I couldn't just walk away from somebody obviously down on their luck and hungry, especially since we'd just come out of a nice restaurant and had probably eaten more than we needed to.
But today it's different. I'm so tired of getting the usual "broken-down car, away from home, and no cash" sob stories from people whose clothes are too nice or too clean to be homeless, and especially those wearing jewelry.
Every once in awhile I get a vibe that somebody is for real, but it's rare - and I'm probably getting taken advantage of at the time when I do give them a buck or two.

I agree with this post 100%.

I myself, when asked for money, ask what for. When food is the answer, I ask them what they want to eat as I point and walk towards a food store. I tell'em that I'll buy them food! So far, only 1 person accepted the offer, with grace and tears among a thousand thank you's.

The others, well, I'm guessing everyone here is smart enough to know the replies & outcome.
I do have a problem letting my money go. I work hard for it and there is barley enough to cover my mortgage.
I have no problem helping people when they need it. Watching a curse filled ranting idiot walk away from my offer to purchase them food is the sound of "Ha ha ha h, Gotcha sucker! Money stays in my pocket! VICTORY!"

Being thanked to high heaven is reward beyond words.

Yep...gave a guy some money that was begging on a street corner in Dallas once only to see him coming out of a liquor store later. Having said that not to long ago I pulled in to fill up and a beater truck with two tired broken down looking guys asked for gas money. I told them I would give them some gas and pumped in $5 worth from my hose, they thanked me, cranked up the beater and drove off.....I figured maybe at least I would get them out of my hood.....

This also has happened to me. People asking for gasoline. When I offer to put the gas into there car, normally it is a big thank you from them. If someone says thanks, while I'm giving them gas, I pump more than the few gallons.

The time I'm thinking of was when a decently dressed fella, better dressed than myself, asked for help, gas for his truck. He claimed he ran out of fuel on the way to a job site and didn't have his wallet on him.

I told him he could have some of mine that I was pumping. He was SO happy. Pinned on smile! Like the Joker, super big. When I went passed 2 gallons, I swear the smile was gonna explode right off his face.

It's not often I get approached, but careful about the matter I am. I'm very selective and super stingy about "MY MONEY!"

The real truth........

Wylde1.

Saw a guy with a similiar sign a few years back that said "I won't lie, I just need some booze".

I laughed so hard I gave him a pack of smokes and a fiver. We bullshitted until the light turned green.

Other than that, I don't give. Just a few weeks ago, some woman rolled down her window only to have a gun stuck in her face and her car jacked.

At a intersection near Wal Mart for the past couple years a person with the standard card board sign and two large Dogs that will eat 5 pounds of food a day Claim can't take care of there self then suddenly got a new puppy as well. Some of these people make a lot more money doing this than working people and much more than one on SS. I heard of a street beggar that has a condo with Big screen LCD tv and has his friends over to buy and smoke pot drink and watch his huge library of **** movies.

I don't understand the mentality of these people. I have been broke more than once in my life and it never acured to me to set up camp on some street corner and ask others to give me a hand out. I was taught to go out and find a job...no matter what is was or how little it paid. Jobs provide not only money, but self esteem.

Lazy, sorry *** bastards is all I have to say.

Ma Snart

I did see a guy with a why lie sign a few years back in AZ. I had no cash on me, but took him into the store he was standing in front of and bought him a bottle. I had someone hit me up for help one time at a gas pump. Clean cut guy, well dressed, clean newer car. Said he just forgot his wallet. I asked him how much it would take for him to get home and back to a gas station in the morning. Put $10 in his tank and gave him my po box address. Was shocked when a few days later there was a 20 dollar bill in an envelope with a thank you note from him and his family.

Dude sneered at me and said "I don't need a f*ing job, I make more money than YOU" That is something I still laugh about - but will never forget. It was probably true.

the thing here is , they do. years back , i had a friend i used to work with. he lost his job and we remained in contact. he would park his moble living quarters (a dodge conversion van) 2 blocks away and hike over to the off ramp with his bum clothes on and his "will work for food/unemployed" sign. from 7am until around 11 or 12 pm , he would rake in anywhere from 150-300 bucks. this guy was living large pulling down 600-1200 bucks in 6 days. the cops would come by, run his name, and be on their way. here in CO, as long as you are out of city limits, there is nothing they can do unless they are being aggressive. havent heard from him in years, but he would travel the states doing this.

I know a guy who quit a 60k plus job to move back to his home city and go back to school for a masters degree. While at school he hooked up with some guys who are "professional students." They liked him so they taught him how to collect evrything free that is available and how to make a really good living begging. He has it down to a science. He takes his Hummer and parks it a few blocks from the area he works. He knows just exactly which clothes to wear so he looks really needy without being so bad his "clients" are repulsed. He has his hair dusting and tooth coloring down to an art he could use for stage makeup. He knows which areas to hit at which time of the day and which story to tell people that look a certain way. He makes a bunch of money doing that and he's not one bit ashamed! He'll beg from an elderly woman who makes minimum wage and if she's dumb enough to give him something it doesn't even bother him. He can sit there and watch Blu-rays on his 52" Samsung on the week nights drinking cognac and take his boat to the lake for the weekend, attend a few classes through the week, make sure his government provided benefits are covered and "go to work begging" whenever he wants. He claims to make a better living than when he had an 8 to 5 job. AND THE LOWLIFE THINKS THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WHAT HE DOES!!

Doh!

Attachments

• obamasign.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 200
You folks are never going to believe who I ran into, again, today? The same chick. The other day I was in the wife's truck, today I was in mine. This time I was walking thru the parking lot, with pants and a jacket on, the other day I had shorts and a t-shirt. I did not even let her get out of the gate today. Was fun to see her back pedaling, stuttering and stammering when she realized who I was.....

A buddy and I were in St Louie and a bum came up asking for money for dinner. My buddy says OK but I tell you what, I will buy you dinner right here in this resturant. We walk in with the guy, him looking all "What the _u_k do I do now? " like. We turn our backs when the lady comes to the counter to take our order and when we turn around we see the dudes butt on the way out of the resturant. I think he really wanted the money for a liquid dinner.

Get a job!!!!!

Ma Snart

I don't understand the mentality of these people. I have been broke more than once in my life and it never acured to me to set up camp on some street corner and ask others to give me a hand out. I was taught to go out and find a job...no matter what is was or how little it paid. Jobs provide not only money, but self esteem.

Lazy, sorry *** bastards is all I have to say.

Ma Snart

+1. Yup, I learned about money when I didn't have any. Kinda scarred me though as I am pretty cheap now - except for my toys.

You folks are never going to believe who I ran into, again, today? The same chick. The other day I was in the wife's truck, today I was in mine. This time I was walking thru the parking lot, with pants and a jacket on, the other day I had shorts and a t-shirt. I did not even let her get out of the gate today. Was fun to see her back pedaling, stuttering and stammering when she realized who I was.....

So when are you two going to hook up, :finga:

We have plenty of beggars/homeless people here in Colorado Springs. I usually try and help as many as I come across whether it be some cash, food, whatever.
A few months ago, a father was sitting on a corner with his 10yo son with a sign that said "anything helps"......now who the heck could resist not stopping for that? So, I turned my Jeep around and whipped in the parking lot and seen him walking to this beat-the-hell out of late 90's Blazer, I mean beat up....ratchet straps were through the front windows around the top, holding the doors to the body and the rear window was smashed out. His wife and daughter were there to meet them as well. I asked him what he needed and he said he needed gas and that they had made it from Denver and were heading to Pueblo but were about to run out. He was a concrete finisher that had lost his job and couldn't find work but he heard about some opportunities in Pueblo. Needless to say I told him to go to the next station and I would fill it up for him, he did and just couldn't be more happier, though every $5.00 he would stop and ask if I'm sure, lol. They were even more surprised when I told him to have his wife and kids get whatever they wanted to eat/drink inside the station.....instead of getting what they wanted, they got a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi instead of seperate items and said that they had foam cups from when someone bought them Sonic earlier that they would use and just share it. Now that folks, told me that they were real, genuine, people just needing a helping hand. They could've just filled their arms with stuff but they were gracious for what I had done for them already...the father looked like he was gonna cry the whole time. I wished them luck and they went about their way.
Another time a few months ago, I ran to McDonalds to get me and my wife some Bfast on the way to church(wife was already there) and as I was leaving a fella wearing cowboy boots and cowboy hat had just walked up to the corner and started flagging (flagging is holding a food, help, whatever sign). As I watched, everyone just drove on by and never had an intention of stopping, so, I pulled across the street and walked on over. His name was William and he had a job but it just wasn't enough to pay for food. His pregnant g/f was getting some milk, bread, etc for her kid with the wic benefits she received and would be there to pick him up as soon as she was done, he was just seeing what he could get. Well, I bought him some Bfast at McD's and told him the place I worked at was hiring. He actually put his application in there that week for a welder's helper position, got interviewed for a sand blast position but was denied the frickin job because the owner's daughter's baby daddy just got out of jail, so he was getting the welder's helper job and the position of sand blaster was given to our safety coordinator's son because he needed a job, wasn't qualified but he needed a job!!!.....I wasn't happy at all. Stinkin work politics...that's another thread though.lol
Anyways, just remember, at least try and do something for someone in need. I know if I was in their position, i'd wish the same thing.
However, if I was in inkjunkie's position, I would've done the same exact thing!! Good for you!

-
Back