A day in the park

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Spent a couple days last week cleaning up and detailing my Duster. After 5 years on the road and several road trips it don't show like it used to. I still do a couple shows each year to support good causes and visit with old friends and make new one's in the old car community.

Yesterday was a show in the pecan orchard at the local park in support of our local volunteer fire department. It was a "relatively" cooler (upper 80's) day, sunny with a light breeze. Pretty comfortable in the shade of those big trees. A bad place to be if a rain or windstorm blows up - you would have seen 100 cars scrambling for open ground - but yesterday was mild and beautiful. There was probably 100 cars in attendance, with the vast majority spotless specimens from years past. Some few newer models; and a few, like mine, showing a little wear on the edges - paint chips here & there, stone chip in the windshield and a little staining on the intake manifold...

Trophy time came and the top 20 came and went, chief's pick, mayor's pick... and then - by unanimous vote... kids choice - Cal Hyer's '72 Plymouth Duster!!!

I was very pleasantly surprised! But in retrospect, kids always seem drawn to it at all the shows I have attended. And my wife said, the kids do not go in with the preconceived notion that it has to be a Mustang, or Chevelle, or big block - they are just drawn to it because it is so bright and bold looking.

With my neighbors, I am on the right,
The pristine, all original, 'cuda next to me got best Mopar.
C

IMG_2385.JPG

Nice! Congratulations!
What part of the country are you in?
Here in Southern California we're hovering right around 100 degrees still...ugh!

Jeff

I would rather have Kids Choice over any other award. Kids always bring a smile to my face when they look at a car with wide eyes and say "WOW!" or "COOL!". Adults just don't react that way when they announce "Best In Show....."
Great job in showing the car as it is used.

Here are a few pics from my travels...
I am located in Georgia, drove to Canada & back last year!
C

0712141426.jpg
CNY Trip 2014-4 033.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
DSC00632 (Medium).jpg
DSC00633 (Medium).jpg
DSC00635 (Medium).jpg

Hi Steve, not to BC - went to Mississauga...
C

Don't let him kid you,Cal has a very very nice Duster that I have had the pleasure of riding in twice on the way to lunch! Cal is a very soft spoken Humble Man that I am proud to call my friend. Good Job Calvin!

Don't let him kid you,Cal has a very very nice Duster that I have had the pleasure of riding in twice on the way to lunch! Cal is a very soft spoken Humble Man that I am proud to call my friend. Good Job Calvin!

Roy, I've had the pleasure of riding in that Duster, too. Cal is one of the best.

Funny story. When I first saw his Duster I congratulated him for going white. White is underdone in the world of antique cars in my opinion, with everyone seemingly following the herd of impact colors. Cars just look good in white.

We cruised over to a show and parked, got out the chairs, when in rolled a Fox body, and parked beside us. It was white with black stripes. A few minutes later a first gen Camaro rolled in and parked on the other side. It was white with black stripes. Cal, looked at me and said something to the effect of what did I say about white being under represented? White and black Ford, Mopar, and GM all parked side by side.

It still doesn't change my opinion of white being under represented in the world of antiques, but it a nice bit of irony for the day.

Roy, I've had the pleasure of riding in that Duster, too. Cal is one of the best.

Funny story. When I first saw his Duster I congratulated him for going white. White is underdone in the world of antique cars in my opinion, with everyone seemingly following the herd of impact colors. Cars just look good in white.

We cruised over to a show and parked, got out the chairs, when in rolled a Fox body, and parked beside us. It was white with black stripes. A few minutes later a first gen Camaro rolled in and parked on the other side. It was white with black stripes. Cal, looked at me and said something to the effect of what did I say about white being under represented? White and black Ford, Mopar, and GM all parked side by side.

It still doesn't change my opinion of white being under represented in the world of antiques, but it a nice bit of irony for the day.
I agree on white for our cars.

1968 Barracuda.jpg

my 69 Dart-3.jpg

-
Back