A dead tree blew over today & I found my oldest bottle yet. 1835-1839

-

Alaskan_TA

Reaction score
I do LOVE history.

My first ever open pontil bottle, a Dr. D. Jayne's Carminative Balsam from Philadelphia. An online search mentioned that this product was sold from 1835 - 1839. The tiny pot is heavy for its size and very cool too. :)

temp stream 6.JPG

temp stream 7.JPG

temp stream 8.JPG

temp stream 12.JPG

Congrats on that find. Caught my attention because Chet B. from our Music City Mopar Club mentioned to me that you are a history buff. :thumbsup:

That is awesome. I have found a few cool old bottles over the years. Something about them is just cool!

Nice find man,
Pat

Very nice! I found a couple of old bottles on my property over the years.
40D392DE-73BC-4190-9307-70A6F626FA8F.jpeg

The small bottle was half filled with iodine when I found it. It has a cork still in the top. The beverage bottle was in the creek. It says “Geo. L. Garwood” and “Mt. Holly N.J.” On it. I don’t know when it was made.

Very cool stuff. I love antiques like that. When I was a kid I use to go in my grandpa's basement and find old stuff all the time I was always so intrigued by it and that never went away. Lol

What a cool discovery! We have the remnants of an old dump on our place and it pushes colored glass and pottery fragments to the surface sometimes, but never an intact bottle and certainly never something as old as your find.

Thats pretty cool Barry. Tree falls over and you find stuff that is almost 200 years old. My mom is an antiques dealer, collector, hoarder and she has a ton of old bottles. Back in the 60-70's she would take us kids up to the old mountain mining towns and we would go dig in their dumps. Find all kinds of stuff. Little opium, snuff bottles and lot of liquor bottles. Would let them purple in the sun.

I walked the old claims at Telluride years ago. Fun yet scary drive with a 3500 Ram.

Relics all over, it was an awesome day.

-
Back