A Different Way to Mount a Grant G/T or Mopar Tuff Wheel

-

Garrett Ellison

Amateur driver on public roadway, do not imitate..
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After much fiddling around with various Grant G/T wheel adapters and being underwhelmed at the outcome, I started to check out Flaming rivers products. The closest thing they produce is a 70 and up 4 inch Chrysler column to Flaming River waterfall Adapter. Wanting a one off custom look, I borrowed a friends Milwaukee Porta-Band and 7 inch angle grinder and proceeded to mount it up onto a spare column I had lying around.
Yes, I understand, there is probably something seriously wrong with someone who orders a $140 chunk of new beautifully machined aluminum and starts to assail it with such rough implements of destruction! However, after removing a 7/16 ledged spacer from the steering wheel side, and then flat grinding the surface just until the 5 screw holes almost disappeared, I came to a flange mount diameter of 4 and 13/16 inches, the same as the Tuffwheel mounting area. More careful measuring and drilling on the inner mount hole allowed me to mount the horn switch assembly from the factory 16 inch Grandma wheel.
Then it was a matter of check, recheck, and check again and mark and drill holes in correct location. I tapped the three mounting holes to 1/4-20 2 inches deep and used three Hollo-Chrome 1-3/4 recessed (beveled, to fit registers in Tuff-Wheel) socket head cap screws from the local Fastenal to mount the wheel. Then, I removed the inner cheap grant adapter from under horn button, as the grant button cap also has the round spring clip adapter to lock into factory horn switch.
It actually turned out to be a rock solid installation when completed, and is a very good fit with the New Vintage Auto Gauge installation. I always worried about the grant stuff stripping out with the force required by the MANual steering at slow speed, I have no worries with this setup!

C4833106-211D-4B05-97C6-01D58606F37F.jpeg

E13D4538-AEB9-4EE6-8BF6-B324297B05B8.jpeg

8D8703C3-2450-4F77-A0B3-56023D2718E8.jpeg

C7CF79DA-9DE4-4B8B-BBCC-FE87610570D9.jpeg

52422388-9AE7-4590-BF36-FB97ED75D2B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work. I think it would look better black though.

Wonder how much silver powder coating a factory can would have been?

Great work. I think it would look better black though.
Some black anodizing of the polished aluminum would be nice, especially if it had a black chrome look. Personally, I prefer the bright look with the radial taper on this spacer.

Last edited:
I like it
I do too, the reason I posted my work on this item in hopes that if there were enough customer demand, it may be possible to get Flaming River to manufacture these and possibly have satin or standard red, black, blue, gold and maybe even custom anodized colors available . Just a thought, it's nice to be able purchase custom items and not have to go crazy modifying them to fit.

Last edited:
-
Back