A dreaded clunking/clicking noise. HELP!!!

-
Reaction score
Please help! I have a 71 Dodge Demon with a newly built 360 (~1 year old) along with a rebuilt automatic transmission. A few days ago when I started the vehicle there were a few clunking/clicking noises I could hear at a random frequency coming from what sounded like under the hood or tranny. I could feel the clunks clearly through the steering wheel but they soon disappeared with only 5-6 random clunks. What worried me was when I shifted into reverse the noises became much more frequent while breaking and rolling. When IU shifted to nuetral the sound disappeared, as well as in drive there was no sound at all. After driving for about 15-20 minutes I had to put into reverse again and the sound was completely gone. I had the same experience today although the initial start there were no noises in park or reverse. I drove about 30 minutes and parked, the Demon sat for about an hour and when I started her the exact same experience occurred. I did a visual inspection and there was nothing apparent to the naked eye, also my transmission fluid was full. After another short 15 minute drive after hearing the noise I pulled into a parking lot and put her into reverse, no noise at all. This is a mystery to me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-
Back