a few electrical/wiring questions

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions about the wiring on these cars. first,

1) where is the switch for the back up lights? mine do not work and they need to be operating to pass inspection. The last owner installed a remanufactured 904, so i am assuming that he did not get them hooked up if the switch is in the transmission itself.

2) what the hell is that little black thing between the fender and the brake master cylinder?

3) I have a D.U.I. distributor to put in with my rebuilt engine. It says not to run the wiring through the ballast resistor as the distributor needs full alternator voltage. Looking through the wiring diagram for my car, i see that the alternator goes to the ballast resistor. It also looked like something else went into the resistor as well, but am not positive on this. Does the ballast resistor only regulat the voltage to the distributor (can i completely disconnect and remove the ballast resistor)?

4) my starter relay was mounted next to the fender tag. It looks awful there and i am not sure where it is supposed to be located, i'm sure lots of you know of a better spot.

Thanks for your help!

STeve

back up switch... mine was on the steering column, near the firewall. i have a column shifted automatic

console shifted autos can have them next to the shifter under the console. others are in the switch in the tranny

but i do not know when they went in the tranny.

technically my car currently has just the one in the tranny, but, it ain't hooked up. need to get the wiring harness from a donor car.

what black thing? picture?

removign the ballast resistor sounds liek a terrible idea. seems it is there for a reason.

and uhm... my starter relay is next to the fender tag as well, relatively speaking, it is also behind the battery.

yes for a DUI (HEI style) distributor, you need 12 volts going to it. use a jumper with spades between where the ballast resistor used to be. a ballast resistor limits voltage to the coil at idle so it doesn't burn it up but at a higher rpm it allows 12 volts. hei style distributors dont need a ballast resistor.

your starter relay should be next to your battery.

the "little black thing" may be your horn relay. a pic would nail it down for sure. if your reverse light switch is on the tranny, the outer 2 wires are the lights. run a jumper between the 2 and your lights should work. if not, check for 12v on one of them. if no 12v then maybe the fuse is bad. what car do you have?

i have a column shifted automatic 70 dart swinger. I took a picture of the black thing, but my camera will not turn on, damn thing eats battery's quick.

Black thing is the voltage regulator, and if you have the plug on the switch in the tranny and its not working unplug it and turn the plug the other way, it may just be in upside down Iv had that happen before.

voltage regulator, so that needs to go back on then. I'll try plugging the plug in with the tranny when i get it back and the engine finised. Could be a couple weeks.
thanks

-
Back