A few questions about 5.7 and 545 auto swap

-

sparkie573

Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted this on fbbo but I know there is a lot of info over here.
I have a 70 roadrunner project and am researching a 5.7 / 545rfe swap. I know that I'll have to do some tranny tunnel surgery but I have a few other

i am most likely going to stick with the stock style suspension and I am wondering if there are any other mods I need other than notching the k for the oil filter?

Also I would like to stay with the stock power steering box if I can, is there a stock exhaust manifold that will work with this configuration? I have heard that the jeep or truck manifolds work, is this true?

I'm thinking that after getting it all in and running that I may go with a single turbo setup but that is later on. I'm wondering about using the stock computer system with this combo, will it hold up

Anything else I need to worry about?
I'm looking into finding a rollover vehicle pretty soon and just trying to make sure I have all my info correct as I'll probably go with an 04-10 ram 2 wheel drive and using as much as possible from it.

Thanks all any info is great. I've been trying to soak up as much as I can.

:violent1::puke::puke:I believe you have to knotch the k member but you can use a durango 45degree oil adapter instead of going remote. to use the 545 you will need the ecm out of an 05. I recomend you stay away from the newer 5.7 with MDS I heard it is a pain if you need an 05 ECM I can get them here for about 100.00 no flash needed. Manifolds I am not sure of TTI and street and performance make headers and mount. Hotwire is your source for wireing harness, you need fuel pump and bandaids and alcohol PLENTY OF ALCOHOL for drinking to help you with the pain and suffering you are about to under go oh yeh oil pan. gas pedal. maybe one day someone with good computer skills will put a list of needed items on here with #s and web sites and we can leave it at the top of the page for the world to see.

I am putting a 6.1 and 545 in a 68 Coronet now here is a link to some pictures of it and scattered thru it are what I had to do to the floor. http://s93.photobucket.com/user/dustin440/library/68 Coronet

I had it mocked up first with the factory K Frame and TTI mounts and it looked like the Jeep SRT manifolds would work but I never had the torsion bars in to see if they would have been a problem. There looked to be plenty of room for the power steering box and if you get the 45 degree adapter from a durango you won't have to notch the k frame for the oil filter.

I don't know about the stock computer and a turbo but I am using a hotwire harness and flashed 05 ecm and a gas pedal from a new charger.

I have more photos on my phone and facebook so if you want to see anything else let me know.

Try to address your questions.

1. 545 requires MAJOR surgery including a new cross member and a reconstructed floor pan.

2. Some have had luck notching the K member and using a Jeep 45 degree oil filter fitting. Others have found they still have interference... So you'll need to mock up the motor first.

3. The B-Body is wider than the A body so stock power steering is an option. Jeep manifolds work, truck manifolds Don't. The collector extends straight back. The stock 5.7 Jeep manifolds will fit, or you can use a set of TTI headers. Also since your doing a B body you can use a set of Hooker headers which are a bit cheaper than the TTI ones.
Doug's Headers also makes a set for the swap for B and E bodies.

4. 03-08 motors are the easiest to swap but 09 and later have better heads and more power. The big issue is the VVT and the variable length intake manifolds.

5. Displacement on demand isn't a big issue, so don't shy away from a motor with it.

6. Generally speaking the stock coils are good to about 20 PSI of boost, so unless you are aiming for over 800 HP you should be good with stock coils. As far as using a factory computer people have done 1000 HP Hemi's with a blower, so it is possible to do it with flashing the stock computer, but I'd contact someone like modern muscle as they seem to have the most experience.

7. There is a bunch of aftermarket ECMs you can go with including FAST, AEM, Big Stuff, and Megasquirt.

8. There's at least three companies that make oil pans, though the one from Milodon is the cheapest, though it does require a bit of massaging to get it to fit. Read some of the build threads about oil pans, getting the pick up and the windage tray to fit requires a bit of grinding.

9. Mounts TTI

Hope this helps

Regards,
Joe Dokes

-
Back