a FNG again. 65 Formula S.

-

cheech14

Reaction score
OK - i have been a gear head since I was 10. During that time I have owned a BUNCH of vehicles - among which were several MOPARs, the first of which was a 1950 Plymouth. My father purchased a 1965 Forumula S on December 31, 1965. The car now sits in my driveway. (yeah - there is some history there.) I am currently repairing a really crappy paint job and am going to pull the Commando 273 out to be freshened up - it will get a 180 hp 273 as a mule until the original motor is ready to go back in.
Will it be restored to factory original? Probably not. The restoration stuff is crazy expensive. Besides, I want it to be reliable, fun and safe. Disc brakes are on the list, to be sure. To keep the small bolt circle wheels or not? Hmmm. The complete rear end was changed someplace along the line (smaller brakes than original and not a sure grip) and an 8 3/4 rear end is pretty much a bolt in. (Did that in the sixties with another 65 Barracuda - it ended up with a Hemi, also. Fun!) sooooo, lots more cool wheels available with the large bolt circle.
REpowering with a 340/360/400 plus engine IS tempting - but will the 904/8 hold it??
First things first. making it driveable. THEN pie in the sky!

Looking forward to this forum!

Cheech14

-
Back